Someone Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popothemailman

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys i need some big help my 3 fish died! I changed from a 55gal to a 80gal, the next day my blue tang died! i figured he was just sensitive, and highly stressed since all the water tests tests were good. My water staid cloudy for a week and my wrasse was looking sick. I asked the man at the fish store and he game me some "Aquarium Zyme" to clear up the bacteria bloom and reestablish lost bacteria, he said it was better than Stress zyme. I did and my wrasse passed away the next day, yesterday before i put the second dose i notice my eel was sick, i put in the dose and left. this morning my eel died. Whats going on???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

PS: the instructions on the bottle: 1oz for every 10gal every other day for a total of 3apps

thank you[/b]

pH is too low not sure on the ammonia but i think it is too high, what were you nitrites and nitrates? i would wait for someone else to saysomething because i am relativitally new to this, kinda.

If you used all of the water and biological filtration from the 55g there should be no NH3 spike unless you did too much cleaning during the move. What were your parameters before the move? PH wouldn't drop that low if your water is properly buffered. More info on your tank and how you did the upgrade would allow a more definitive answer.

How long had the first tank been setup and did it have a DSB?

I was thinking along with phases. I have done too much of a water change and had fish die(it was freshwater but saltwater is similar). If they lose too much beneficial bacteria that causes big problems.

my 55gal was up for about 4 months, and dumb me used to syphon the sand. that led to a bacteria bloom and i got cloudy water in the last month having the 55gal. when i transfered to the 80gal the cloudiness continued...

nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5(next bar up is 0)

when i switched tanks i first emptied all the water into a lot of blue water jugs, and had the fish in a 5gal bucket with stress coat. i then scooped the sand with a clean little shovel into the new aquarium then in one spot of the tank added all the water to prevent the sand of mixing all around.

before that i believe i had an ammonia of 0 to .2 and my ph was 8 to 8.2... as somedays it changes... nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 2.5.

i do water changes once a week and use amquel after each. when nitrite or nitrate is hight after a water change i use amquel plus. and every once in a while i add novaqua.

should i add some ph up?

would live rock help...if i added live rock(fowlr) do i remove the bioballs?

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles. I think amonia could be the problem. Any detectable anomia is too much for the fish. It is possible that the amonia spike is a product of the dead fish. How long were they in there after they died? I still think it was the cause of, not product of, the deaths. Not sure what caused the spike though...Lando

IMO its not the ammonia at that low of a reading and in only 3 days. Where did you mix the new water for the tank and how long was it mixing before you added the fish? Did you acclimate the fish to the new tank at all and was it up to the right temp? Adding 30 gal of new water I would have acclimated them, just like when you brought them home.
You have no LR at all? So the only bacteria you transferred was from the sand?
A PH drop like that IMO could have killed the fish. 8.2-7.8 without any acclimation.. Maybe you did acclimate I don't know just thinking out loud....

If you are using amquel it doesn't remove the ammonia it just makes it not dangerous for your fish. Your ammonia reading could be telling you it is there but it really isn't. I'm curious :?:

im think my tank is just recycleing since a lot of the bacteria from the sand is gone because i used to syphon it.

how bad is a 7.8ph?

7.8 is a bit low. Ph should naturally fluctuate between 8.1 and 8.4, but should remain fairly stable at around 8.2 or 8.3. How often do you do water changes? Doing 15% every other week can help in buffering ph.

I had the same problem ,I upgraded from a 55 gal to a 125 ,ammonia went threw the roof nitrites were high, nothing I did worked, stated loosing fish
not much a believer in chemicals but found a few that were recomended and they did work ,first I added some prime to the water which lasts about three days I found, it makes the nitrites and ammonia not hurt your fish ,then I added this chemical from seachem called stablizer
It claims it will cycle your tank in seven days and it did, I was surprised as again I dont believe in alot of these chemicals but the store I used recently moved and all the tanks went nuts, they used it and liked it so I figured ok let me give it a shot, nothing to loose since I lost 7 out of 10 fish, between adding the prime in every three days to take care of the ammonia and nitrates and doing the stablizer as directed I was amazed that it resolved and was over

ok i have amquel which acts like your prime, but here is a question should i finish up the aquarium zyme(i have one more application tomorrow, and doesnt seem to be clearing up the cloudyness) and start up the seachem stabilizer?

did you have the same cloudyness i had?

Let the live rock cure for a while. When you get live rock there is an amount of dye off and your water parameters will probably go haywire for a bit. Keep testing the water and when the parameters go back to normal then add some fish. Don't forget to keep doing regular water changes as well.

IMO I think it was the ammonia. I just moved my tank and I have 0 trates and trites and 0 ammonia. If you wanted to use something that helps with ammonia I have used Prime...its a good product but tends to through skimmers off line for a bit...Also I would stay away from Amquel if you can..again just my opinion. Sorry for the loss. I just had a clown pass myself due to a bowl obstruction.

Back
Top Bottom