Something is definately wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There has got to be something really wrong in my tank. My angel, whom i treated for ich (and the spots dissappeared...is now back out of the main tank...he probabally won't make it. His body is puffed out underneath and in the middle. One fin isn't working and he has NO SPOTS! He is breathing very heavily. ) I took my corals to a friends house and my "sick bubble coral" immediatly improved. He looks normal now. She now has all my corals! What can I do for my other fish? Do they have it too? I did a 20% water change and Nitrates are down from 40 to 30...ph is 8.2, salt content is 1.024, Nitrites 0, alk 300 or above, cal 500, phosphates are 5!!! I bought some sponges to reduce it but nothing happened, so I am going back to the fish store to get something stronger and get more water for another 20% change. My main concern is to save all the fish I can....how will I know if the other fish are affected? They seem normal?

Well, it may be velvet, sometime it does not show "spots", but the heavy gilling is a clue. It could also be some kind of internal bacterial infestion as illustrated by the distended abdomen. Do you have any antibiotic like maracyn 2?
If he makes it through the night and if he is in qt, I would consider treating with the above and starting a copper regiment, cupramine is what I use.
Some may not agree, but he is not too stressed, I would try a properly conducted fw dip. If it is parasitic, it could give some relief and buy you some time. This is radical, but your fish sounds to be in bad shape.
I would watch the other fish very close and be ready to move them if they show any symptoms.
Good luck, thoughts are with you.

I don't have any fw ro/di...just tap...it has something in it thats bad for fish...don't remember what it was.. copper maybe??? I will have more f/w ro in the morning. Would that matter being that its only for a few minutes? Thanks...I am chucking everything in the tank...water and rocks and sand....when I get the other tank...and starting over. :(

Shouldn't need to chuck everything. if you have a parasite (ich or velvet) a period of 4 weeks (6 would be better) void of fish will allow the parasite to go through its life cycle and die off. I went through a velevet battle and won with this strategy.
The 2 main things with a fw dip are a temp and ph match to the tank water. Also if using tap water, you need to use a dechlorinate. It's the chlorine thats bad.
If you can get through the night, I would start treatment and consider moving the other fish out (inverts are not suseptable) for treatment.
Once again, if this is a parasite.
Whats the history of the illness?

I took him out and treated him with kick ich for 2x weeks, the lady in the lfs told me how to do it. After 2 or 3 days most of his spots dissappeared and in the next few days his last spot dissappeared. Then when I moved him, he got another spot so I treated the main tank...in case anyone else had it. He seemed to be doing fine yesterday and his spot dissappeared. i went to a bbq and came back and there he was laying at the bottom of the tank, bloated and gasping for air. He didn't make it last night...I don't think I can deal with another death from the tank. What do I do? I have a 10 gallon tank for qt, the clown is 3 inches, the blue tang 1" and a manderin at full size. They are all pretty small, can I put them in all together?

You may want to get a 20 gallon if you can. Leave the main tank void of fish hosts as described above. Treat your fish (if they show symptoms) with cupramine in qt, kick ich is not a good med.
It worked for me when my fish came down with velvet.
Sorry for your loss. :cry:

Not sure about the manderin, maybe an advisor can help out here. Not sure if it should be treated with meds either.
Maybe another 10 gallon, you could treat him separately and treat the other 2 in your current 10.

Hi

You shouldn't have to dispose of your rocks and things. However, if you do want to dispose of your rocks, I will pay for shipping if you want to sell them really cheap to me. Let me know.

Hope things get better.

Hi grapepony! Yeah, If it were me I'd GIVE it to ya, but my husband has decided to take over the 55 and everything in it for loinfish and an eel maybe. When we were in El Paso we used tap water with water conditioners...no problem...bueatiful purple coraline, heathly fish and coral...but in Florida our luck ran out. Ever since we used tap water that tank has never been the same. We use ro water now, but it still has issues. :?

Hi

Ok. I hope all your critters are doing better. Thanks for responding back. I am still trying to build up the rock in my tank, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask if you were gonna throw them out. No need to waste something you can get some money for. :D You have a good day!

Back
Top Bottom