Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Something is killing my fish!

Hey all, ive got something going on in my tank. Over the last 4 days i have had 4 fish die. It only gets one at a time, and it starts with a white blotch on the head of my fish, then it gets worse like the flesh is decaying. its killed 3 lyretails, and a raccoon butterfly. Everyone looks fine eats fine then one will get this and the next day they die. i havent been able to get a good picture but ill keep trying and update this if i do.

I have been doing water changes and my params are pristine

PH is 8.2
ammonia is 0
nitrates is 0
nitrites is 0 as well.

i dont think its ich, because its not small spots its more of a white blotch that seems to be eating away at the fish. and im real confused that it only takes out one fish at a time...

i have set up a QT tank, but its next to impposible to catch any of my fish due to the hundreds of pounds of rock in my 180 gallon tank. Also in fear of whatever it is i mixed up fresh RO water to fill my qt is that okay to use?

thanks for any help!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never experienced marine velvet, nor do I know much about it, but you may have it. Try looking it up and see if any of the symptoms match. Good luck and sorry about you loss of fish.

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

no one else has any ideas?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #4

its almost like my unk disease. sorry for loss. wateva it is parasite will kill each fish within a day or two. highly recommend qt before its to late. usual symptoms is breathn hard, stop eating and pale color or white spots - quick cure should work as it has formalin. however, its 50/50 survival rate fish may die during treatment. my nemo took 3 treatments and other passed at 2 treatments. 6-8 wks is ideal with no fish in mt so parasite will die off. that was recommendation from the smart guys on this forum and research google. good luck
Old 09-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had a mysterious disease wipe out 6 of my fish and never found out what it was. I didn't add any more fish for over two months and the survivors are still going strong. I know mine didnt die from ich or velvet and the only sign of illness was after death, they appeared to have burns almost on them. They all were stricken and dead within 24 hours. It is very important if you wanna save your stock to remove them before any more damage can be done.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #6

okay, so should i move all my fish out into a qt tank? if so should i still use the water from the tank?

by no fish for 6 to 8 weeks do you mean that all i need to do is leave my big tank without fish for that long and it will eventually die off? or do i just take the one that looks sick out, and leave the rest. what about my CUC too?

Sorry for all the questions just dont want to mess this up and lose everything!

thanks for the help.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

How big is your qt? is it big enough for all your fish? usually if its ich, velvet or something like that it only affects fish, not shrimp or crabs or snails. From the skin peeling I would guess velvet as I did alot of reserach and that sounds like it could be that. Maybe do some googling and see if it matches up to your fishes condition and symptoms.

I would mix up some fresh water and not use the water from the tank as we have no idea what's floating around in there. Do you have a cycled and functioning qt tank?

I also would be hesitant to medicate without knowing for sure what it is.

here is a link on velvet

Marine Velvet (Amyloodiniosis)

I read through the article real quick and it seems straight forward if thats whats happening. Unfortuantely if not caught early it says death is likely.

It also says to treat with copper, and I agree that cupramine is the best medication for it. You'll also need a copper test kit as well.
:-(

Read it and see if that could be it.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

i have a 30 gallon biocube that i set up this morning, so its not cycled. i have a peice of PVC in the tank, they can all fit, i dont know how long they will be happy in there. Should i just put them all in even if it hasnt cycled? from what ive read and seen, i dont think that its velvet. it could be theres just nothing that i can find that matches what my fish have!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know how that is. I'm hoping Someone else will chime in with another option. You didnt take any pictures of the dead fish did you?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #10

http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2010/01/ich/
here is a good source in how to treat marine velvet and saltwater ich. medication required is formalin&copper; go to lfs and buy the version of quick cure that has formalin/copper. good luck.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com