something is on my Yellow tangs tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gamefreak0109

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i just noticed this white mass growing on my yellow tangs tail. It wasnt there like 2 days ago. It doesnt look like ich. its only one spot on the very end of the tail fin. It is white. it almost looks like a sack of little white eggs, it has this clear stuff that looks like a gel around it. but it seriously looks like a small sack of white eggs. to me it looks like it could fall off at any second. i tried to get pics of it, but its really hard with a phone. ill post those in a minute

img_1138323_0_3a9ac09edf45e249cde9ac8851d10c21.jpg

its very hard to get a pic. for some reason it looks like 2 white lumps on the fins, but the one on top is just a weird glair i think, there is only the one white mass on the tail fin. and of course the typical white spot on the tail that every yellow tang has. but you can kinda see what im talkin about in the pic. ill try to get better pics

and this is the only spot on the fish. i dont know what it is, but i wanna make sure i can get rid of it as soon as i can if its somethign that needs to be treated

melosu58 put up some good links, Have a read.

But nothing you can do as for treating it, Just keep your levels pristine.
By the way, How big is your tank?

Double up on on PWCs for a few weeks to maintain pristine water parameters. PWC's cure many ills in fish.

How big is the tank?
What other livestock is in it?

Ok I'll do weekly pwc's. And its a 24g nanocube. But before any of you shoot me for having a tang in there. I have a 100g home for it,'it's just not ready yet. The nanocube is just a temp home. There are 4 other smallish. 2 clown, a purple firefish and a damsel. And like 6 frags of different coral. (mushrooms, torch, Kenya, xenya, and yellow polyps) but like I said, I have a 100g home for him to go to as soon as it's ready

Don't know whether you consider this a shot or not, but here it goes.....

IMO, that tang in a 24g with 4 other fish can really get stressed. A stressed fish often means a lowered immune system. A loweredimmune system often means ich, velvet, other disease or whatever it is they say your tang has on his tail.

Strong, happy fish can fight off illness better.

Hopefully you'll take something from this experience. Good luck

Yea. I know, I am moving the tang very soon. I know 24 is too small, and I'm gonna have him in a bigger home shorty. This is just temporary. Better than the 10g tanks they keep fish in at the LFS

How did i know?

Ohhhh, When will people learn.
If you had a 100g on hold, Why didnt you just wait untill that was ready and then buy the tang? No wonder its sick..
Its chances of survival are quite low, It'll just keep on having problems. Sorry.

Good luck...:taped:

Look, this tang was in a 10g in a small
Pet store. It had been there for a while. I know that a 24g isn't what they need, but it's better than the 10g it was stuck in. The 24 is just temporary. No worse than the temporary tanks they are in at LFSs.

The difference is that now YOU have a sick fish instead of the lfs!
I would try doing daily 10% water changes in that tank until the 100 is ready. With that small of a water volume in a crowded tank you really need to keep the water pristine. The only way to do that is with daily 10% pwc's. At least you only need a couple of water jugs worth, though it may be easier to make a couple of 5 gallon buckets so you always have it at the ready.

Well I have a buddy with a 75g that's been running,
I may just let him babysit for me. Cus I agree that he doesn't need to be in the 24g. I figured it was better than the 10g, but still not good. I understand that. I really want the best for the tang

The 75 will be much better than the nano. Kudos for trying to find a better route. I think you`ll see the lympho disapear after you put him in the 75. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom