Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
I would love to get a manderin, it's one of my favourite fishes. However I also have a scooter blenny and I asked my LFS of they would get along and they said maybe/maybe not there was the possibility that they might fight to the death...
__________________

__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
They will certainly compete for the same foods.
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
ezy33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco's Barbary Coast
Posts: 2,545
Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
My vote is for the arrow crab.
"It is a hardy, long-lived invertebrate, that can be housed in the reef aquarium. This crab has been known to attack crustaceans such as Banded Coral Shrimp, and may even attack small slow moving fish. All crabs are opportunistic feeders and if insufficient food is present they may pick at mushrooms or polyps searching for food."
Arrow Crab
__________________
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
ezy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 156
Mandarins are the most beautiful fish in the hobby no doubt. But i have learned to walk right past them in the stores. Even if you get the healthiest one, you still have almost no chance of keeping it alive... because they are so picky about what they eat. I dont understand why lfs sell the most difficult fish at the lowest prices.. seems like if they sold them for ALOT of money people would be more reluctant to buy them. By the way i noticed you are from Grapevine... where do you shop for fish and corals? I come up that way from time to time and would like to know some shops to go to.
__________________
Wendy8184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy8184 View Post
Mandarins are the most beautiful fish in the hobby no doubt. But i have learned to walk right past them in the stores. Even if you get the healthiest one, you still have almost no chance of keeping it alive... because they are so picky about what they eat. I dont understand why lfs sell the most difficult fish at the lowest prices.. seems like if they sold them for ALOT of money people would be more reluctant to buy them. By the way i noticed you are from Grapevine... where do you shop for fish and corals? I come up that way from time to time and would like to know some shops to go to.
I disagree on madarin being hard to keep ive kept a pair in a 55g for over 3 years and before that i kept one in the same 55g for a few years until a housefire destroyed my aquarium only thing needed is a good refugium for pods to reproduce without a fugi yes i agree they will not survive
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post
I disagree on madarin being hard to keep ive kept a pair in a 55g for over 3 years and before that i kept one in the same 55g for a few years until a housefire destroyed my aquarium only thing needed is a good refugium for pods to reproduce without a fugi yes i agree they will not survive
You might disagree but my estimation is that you just got a good pair and you probably have alot of pods in your tank. The fact of the matter is that most mandarins dont make it. They will last till the pods run out and then fall to starvation. I`m glad yours made it but the majority dont. They need a big tank with alot of LR to breed more pods and to keep the tank full of them.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post

You might disagree but my estimation is that you just got a good pair and you probably have alot of pods in your tank. The fact of the matter is that most mandarins dont make it. They will last till the pods run out and then fall to starvation. I`m glad yours made it but the majority dont. They need a big tank with alot of LR to breed more pods and to keep the tank full of them.
Thats why i said you need a good refugium for pods to reproduce lol i do agree also that you need a lot of lr i have about 60lbs in a 55g most mandarin probably dont make it because lack of areas for pods to reproduce
mandarin are not hard to keep they just need the right environment cant just toss them in an aquarium and hope for the best So yes most probably dont make it but not because their hard to keep but because their not provided with what they need
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post
Thats why i said you need a good refugium for pods to reproduce lol i do agree also that you need a lot of lr i have about 60lbs in a 55g most mandarin probably dont make it because lack of areas for pods to reproduce
mandarin are not hard to keep they just need the right environment cant just toss them in an aquarium and hope for the best So yes most probably dont make it but not because their hard to keep but because their not provided with what they need
I can agree with that.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,322
You have been lucky. 99% of them don't make it long term.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
You have been lucky. 99% of them don't make it long term.
Maybe luck i chalk it up to meeting its requirements ive had 3 and all have lived 2 are still goin strong and the one went down with a housefire but it was going strong for 2 almost 3 years my buddy somehow trained his to eat frozen now thats what i call luck
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue, led, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.