SOMETHING WRONG WITH MY FISH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

SG is steady now at 1.0225
PH 8.0
Alklinity 4.5
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 5
Total Ammonia 0.1
Free Ammonia 0

The ammonia has not gone up for a while, and I dont know why.

The fish is leaning to one side, staying on the bottom of the tank. What is wrong with it?

How long has the fish been in the tank? How long has it been acting like this? It is common for fish to "sleep" like this. How did you acclimate? How did you cycle?

Why would ammonia go up? Did you complete a cycle?

The fish is leaning to one side, staying on the bottom of the tank
This is, mot likely, a product of the detectable ammonia and nitrite. What size tank? What is hte livestock list? Have you done anyting to it (including cleaning) over the last several days? I would do a 20% water change pronto to get levels back to a more acceptable range.

The fish has been in there a few days. I am using it to cycle the tank with. I noticed it doing this today, I acclimated how FishFreek suggested (HE thought it would be fine).

The ammonia is NOT going up. That is what stumps me... I feed it every day, I dont know why the ammonia wouldnt go up.

30 Gallon tank, just the fish in there right now. No cleaning.
20% water change wont matter right now will it? I just started the cycle.

It SEEMS to be doing better, it is at least hiding behind the skimmer like normal (And comes out when it thinks nobody is here)

OH NO! Its laying completely on its side right now, barely breathing....

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

I mean its not like the ammonia is really high, the SG is good, the Nitrites/Nitrates are not bad. I might expect this later on when everything starts skyrocketing... But NOW?

Zac, This is classic ammonia,nitrite posioning. Unlike FW ammonia and nitrite is much more toxic to SW fish so the levels are toxic at a lower threshold. I suggest purchasing a single raw shrimp from the grocery store and tossing it in the tank or leave the dead fish in the tank to complete the cycle. When there is no more detectable ammonia and nitrite then your tank is safe for fish. But only one or two fish should be added at any given time and a week should always elapse before additional fish introductions when comming off the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom