something wrong with my hippo?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i come to my tank and my hippo is covered with these white stuff i think its ich but not sure never seen ich like this and when hey jolted or swam a little faster little white specals fell off of him? any ideas? please help

Attachments

• image-2170364069.jpg
    image-2170364069.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2943699923.jpg
    image-2943699923.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 117
so i come to my tank and my hippo is covered with these white stuff i think its ich but not sure never seen ich like this and when hey jolted or swam a little faster little white specals fell off of him? any ideas? please help

Greetings! From those pictures, it doesn't look like Ich because there's not so much salt like grains that I notice, but what I see is white patches/slime, I am correct in seeing this or is it just the picture? If that's the case it's far more worse than ich and can lead to a complete tank loss if not treated.

Best regards,
Frank

yes it is white patches/slime what can it be? how do i treat it? and i have corals too :/

yes it is white patches/slime what can it be? how do i treat it? and i have corals too :/

My first thought would be Brooklynella or Marine Velvet, but looks more like Brook to me.

If that's what it is, it moves fast and kills quick! Only way to treat is with Formalin. If you don't have access to Formalin you can also use Quick Cure. Naturally, this has to be done in either a QT or a bucket with airstone because you can't use either Formalin or Quick Cure in your DT.

Also, all other fish will have to be removed and treated even though they may not exhibit signs as of right now.

Frank

heres some more pics if it helps to determine it and he has millions of little white specals on him?

Attachments

• image-1292674318.jpg
    image-1292674318.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1706542619.jpg
    image-1706542619.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 103
heres some more pics if it helps to determine it and he has millions of little white specals on him?

Ok, from those pictures it does look like ich and from the look of him, he's on the small size, about the size of a quarter or so? At that size hippos are notorious for having very weak immune systems. As they mature they do build up their immune system put are ich chances are still high. There is no reef safe treatment. The only real treatment for ich is copper which CAN NOT be used in a reef tank. So again you'd have to pull him out, and treat in a QT or bucket with airstone and monitor copper levels as the slightest overdose can kill the fish and the DT has to remain fish less for 4-6 weeks.

The best thing to do at this stage is to supplement feed with garlic and/or vita-chem, also make sure you're supplement feeding with seaweed as this helps in boosting the hippos immune system.

Frank

no those are acutally on him thats why im worried i know what ich looks like and it dosent really seem like ich and hes maybe 3-4"

he has one little white sliver and then those spots that are the dark color like in the pic

also gave him a ro/di dip today for 10 mins and lots of garlic in his food

he has one little white sliver and then those spots that are the dark color like in the pic

The dark spots could be flatworms or other type of worms. Was he quarantined before being put into the display tank. How long has he been in the main tank? Are any other fish in tank showing abnormal signs?

he was in a qt tank at my local pet store they keep all there fish in copper treatment qt and ive had him since like febuararyish

i do have a qt tank on hand and i have copper

I'd pull him and get him into QT ASAP. If it is Brooklynella copper is of no use to treat, and like I said is a very fast killer, usually within 24-48hrs of showing symptoms the fish succumbs to the brook. Which resembles white stringy like slime on body of fish.

just scared to put in QT because its so hard to tell if ammonia is 0 or .25 when color is same almost but everything else is 0 in par but when i checked ammonia in QT and DT its almost same color so idk if anything ill pull him when the lights go out and he goes to sleep

Back
Top Bottom