Something's "fishy"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
A tunicate has died and has caused a cyano bloom.. the surfaces of various things in the tank has a fishy kinda smell to it.. I'm buying a ro/di filter today and a phosphate resin filter bag to go in my wet/dry... I have not removed the dead tunicate as of yet and my water parameters are reading good.. nitrate is at 5.0... I only feed my scooter once every other day a little bit of frozen mysid shrimp I have 4 hermits one has died on me.. I have 2 margarita snails, as soon as the weekend is over and the holiday I intend on goin on a quest for some nassarius snails and maybe a conch or 2, I would've gotten on this problem sooner however, I've had family/houseguests from hell, for over a week now and they are FINALLY gone ... I've read some posts on this stuff, any additional advice is available for my dilemma would be greatly appreciated..

Always remove dead or dieing animals whenever possible, especially in a new tank. As for the odor, there really shouldn't be much of one. You should try a few large water changes with well aged/areated SW which will often help. Might not be a bad idea to add some carbon to the sump as well.

Cheers
Steve

I put some purigen in the sump as well as some phosphate absorber...I only have enough aged sw for a small change today.. I'm gonna get the tunicate out today with the water change..

and when I'm saying small water change..I mean about 10gal.. I have a 55gal tank with 85lbs lr and 60lbs ls..so prolly 45gal of water total in my tank..is this the large water change? or should I do more?

ok.. changed the water in addition to the other filtration media that I mentioned..I also added a bag of carbon to my sump.. and removed the stinky tunicate

Oceanicsublimat said:
and when I'm saying small water change..I mean about 10gal.. I have a 55gal tank with 85lbs lr and 60lbs ls..so prolly 45gal of water total in my tank..is this the large water change? or should I do more?
If it did the trick it's large enough. Base the size of the water change on the need of the tank. If the readings are otherwise good, a small 10-15% water change is fine. If the nitogens are creeping up or too high, do a larger water change.

Oceanicsublimat said:
ok.. changed the water in addition to the other filtration media that I mentioned..I also added a bag of carbon to my sump.. and removed the stinky tunicate
(y)

FWIW, the Purigen will only help reduce nitrogenous waste. It will do nothing that carbon or similar sorbant media will, they are not interchangable.

Cheers
Steve.

Back
Top Bottom