Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
somthing is eating my orange linka starfish help

i have two,one looks like it has been eatin by somthing. the tips are black. this one looks like it has been on someones menu. anyone ever seen this before?

Old 08-05-2003, 11:07 PM   #2
steve-s

Looks like it could be acclimation shock unless you have suspect fish and inverts as well as other stars.

If not acclimated slowly enough, stars can show signs of "necrosis" as quickly as the next day or even several months later.

How long have you had the star?
How was it acclimated?
Other tankmates/hitchikers?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-05-2003, 11:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have any harlequin shrimp? JK, im thinkin acclimation problems, they need like 6 hours or more
Old 08-05-2003, 11:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

no,camel shrimp. got the 2 of them 1 month ago. the other one is fine. 15 min float,15min with8oz of tank water,then mixing bag water and tank water slowly releasing them on the sand bottom, all with the star under water because it can not touch air. they are chunks takin off the star now. my sallylightfoot crab maybe. perc clowns 2, my purple tang,and my wife thinks its my 6yr old electric damsel.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 12:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I go with acclimation. As d9hp stated Starfish need to be acclimated for many hours. They are very sensitive to pH & salinty changes. Try the drip method & if the water in the bucket will not stay the same temp. as in your tank you can put a heating pad under the bucket to help maintain the temp. Just dont let the bucket overflow. I used this method to acclimate my Abalone for four hours and had no problems. The drip method is a peice of airline tubing placed in the tank with a knot to adjust your drip and into your bucket. Run it at about 1-3 drops per second.
This how I do all my fish both S/W & F/W along with corals Etc. My past experince with starfish was the same as yours, I was not able to save the starfish.

Hope this helps with future stock
John

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

you guys are right stars are supposed to be near impossible to acclimate, but once- and i'm not sure this happens often or the star was alrdy dead, but once in a fish store i saw 2 hermit crabs eating a blue linkia.- maybe it was alrdy dead i've never heard of that happening besides seeing it that one time.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

EMS503 i do not know this drip method,please explain .what is different from letting the bag float 6hours? there is hardly any arms left on the 1 star,my 2nd one is showing the starting signs now. should i take them out now and shove them up petcos butt, or just take them out and save my nitrate hike. i never was told, those poor starfish.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 02:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to sokhamik
the difference between dripping and letting it float for 6 hours is that dripping will slowly make the chemistry in the bag the same as the chemistry in your tank.. floating it for 6 hours just keeps the temperature the same for six hours.. too bad it isn't a harlequin shrimp huh?? i love 'em.. i wished they hitched hike in my tank..
Old 08-07-2003, 03:29 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman11111
EMS503 i do not know this drip method,please explain .
Check >>this<< article.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-07-2003, 07:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Troutman just like sokhamik said this will equal the chemistry between the shipping water and your tank slowly, and allow the new inhabitants to adjust to the tanks pH,salinity,etc.

steve-s good article explains it well. I put it in my favorites for future posts.

John

75 gal. Reef & 30 gal. Anemone Tanks.

I get paid for what I may have to do, Not for what I do!
EMS503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eating, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com