Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2003, 10:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Speedy Clownfish

I recently bought two clownfish which have adapted to my tank very well...at least I thought. They are both eating and interacting wonderfully, one just is acting strange. He swims, extremely fast, back and forth across the top of the aquarium. The other fish act normal and don't seem to mind, he doesn't act sick. He just has decided over the last day to do laps. Is there any reason for this...or just a weird personality?

Old 10-22-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
steve-s

You just basically got a "skiddish" one. Unless the fish is showing signs of distress, surface gulping or fast breathing, it could simpley be showing off to the other clown. Keep tabs on it for any dubious signs but I don't think it should be a problem.

My mated skunks "spaz" out quite often and the female will race back and forth super fast along the glass every so often...

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-22-2003, 11:52 PM   #3

Thanks!

I was worried about him for a little while...he seems fine in every other way. He just does that for about an hour and will stop and then just start up again later. My banggai cardinal just stairs at him...not that he does much whether or not the clown is doing laps.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM   #4

Two speedy fish...

Now my green chromis has started racing too....Are they trying to show off for each other?
Old 10-23-2003, 11:55 PM   #5
steve-s

Unless you are noticing outward signs of problems on the fish it may simpley be a matter of "posturing" as the fish determine the pecking order.

To be safe though, why not give a rundown of your tanks set up and water parameters to be on the safe side....

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-24-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to ddcboys
They are trying to establish dominance of the tank. imo my clowns do this when they go to mate. It is typlically the female that does this to make sure that she queen fish in the tank so when she lay's eggs other's stray away.

Tags
clown, clownfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com