Spinny box puffer help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've had my puffer for two weeks and when I first got him he was eating mysis just fine, but now won't eat ANYTHING, and is really skinny, trate/trite is at 0ppm. Ph 8.4 and sal 1.021/1.023. Any help at all would be nice. He is in a 75g tank with a Tobacco basslet, dog face puffer, and a niger trigger. Everything is small and I have a home for things when they get too big just so we can get that complaint out of the way. The temp is 78 day time, and 75 at night. Alot of live rock and everyone has there own territory.

Naturally, these puffers are more skinny than other puffers. Its a good idea to treat your puff for internal parasites. Maybe use prazipro med. Very inexpensive medicine. If it doesn't have any parasites, then the other problem could be that its stressed. I hope every fish in your tank is under 3-4 inches because its a very tight squeeze for all of your fish.

The dog is 4 1/2 biggest in there and he keeps to him self. Nothing shows signs of stress.

Or a parasite. When he did eat he made sure he was the first to get the food, then a week later he would take a bite then spit it out, 3 days later he just stopped showing interest.

What else did you try feeding? Maybe you could try some fish garlic liquid and soak some raw shrimp.

Tried the garlic, not raw shrimp though. I'm also thinking ghost shrimp till I can get him back to frozen. Should I put him into the sump/refug?

I went ahead and put him in the refug part of the sump just so he will have a chance of getting the shrimp, he's only 3-4 inches and he has some swimming room it's only temp. Once he looks better I'll place him back.

Back
Top Bottom