Spiral worms in Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank seems loaded with these little spiral suckers. I actually now believe I've seen them on my zoa. I know it's not nudibranch eggs. They are exactly the same things on my glass and rock. I'm pretty sure it's what's irritating them.
Anyone ever have this? Anything that can be done? I know I'm all over the place lately

http://zoaid.org/gmedia-gallery/zoanthid_irritator/#!

Found this site and it looks like that vermitid email except very pale white

Update:
This is exactly what I'm talking about here

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/366608-spirorbid-worms-growing-on-coral/

This is common in new systems, to the point it's borderline a life stage. They appear, the numbers explode, then they die off. I've never seen anything irritated by them due to their size and not having feeding habits like vermetid snails.

EDIT: I'd look towards what is going on in the system as to what is stressing your coral. It's the same thing assisting your tang in getting ich.

The only stressed coral is my zoa's. Everything else is great and growing. My zoa's seem to do great a while then die off.
I even brought back a couple that weren't great from the store.

Checked my levels and everything seems 0. My high ph is about 8.2.

I'm starting to think it wasn't ich on the Tang after all. He likes to pick at algae on the sand line of the tank a lot and scuffles in there to get it. I'm really thinking it was a few grains of sand stuck to his fin and I freaked cause of my clown goby.

I'm of course keeping and eye on him like a hawk tho.
I'm just trying to get as much info on things I see in the tank since marine is so new to me.

It's come a long way since setup and every day seems to unleash some new critter I spend time researching then posting up here.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

I can usually tell when the Tang is stressed cause his white body line comes out like my angels do. He only seems to get that way if I do a massive water change but he comes back fast.

Ph levels won't have a dire impact on zoas. Alk swings on the other hand will. The more 'rare' types of zoas and palys start becoming very intolerant of alk swings in the system.

Just keep an eye on the tang. With ich having several life stages, if the specs are gone and it was ich and not sand, simply might not currently be in the cyst life stage.

Ph levels won't have a dire impact on zoas. Alk swings on the other hand will. The more 'rare' types of zoas and palys start becoming very intolerant of alk swings in the system.

Just keep an eye on the tang. With ich having several life stages, if the specs are gone and it was ich and not sand, simply might not currently be in the cyst life stage.

yup, Im pretty familiar with the cycles from my other tanks (though fresh). Ive dealt with it in the past but fairly easily then. I am inspecting him daily. He still eats like a pig and swims like a maniac. Did a massive water change with a bit of a sand stir since thats where I guess marine ich hides.
A least I know my new skimmer works well because it cleared my water almost instantly where my old one would have barely made a dent in about a hour or so.

My tank seems loaded with these little spiral suckers. I actually now believe I've seen them on my zoa. I know it's not nudibranch eggs. They are exactly the same things on my glass and rock. I'm pretty sure it's what's irritating them.
Anyone ever have this? Anything that can be done? I know I'm all over the place lately
Nick

can you get a pict of these critters as your describing them .
spinoids came to mind took forever to get them under control as they expand fast
I was infested with those buggers

vermids are another thought both look kind of alike vermids are easier to get under control with a bottle of crazy glue

first pict is spinoids
007%20Spionid%2006.jpg

second pict vermids
images

they both look similar but 1 is easier to battle than the other

Last edited:
Nick

can you get a pict of these critters as your describing them .
spinoids came to mind took forever to get them under control as they expand fast
I was infested with those buggers

vermids are another thought both look kind of alike vermids are easier to get under control with a bottle of crazy glue

first pict is spinoids
007%20Spionid%2006.jpg

second pict vermids
images

they both look similar but 1 is easier to battle than the other

I apologize but I cant see anything in either pic. Its def the creature in the link in my OP. Those little crustacean circle wormy things.

I can try to get a pic but all I have is my phone and I Dont think its going to get a high enough res photo to even show them. If anything they will end up looking like something else thats a tank killer and start a whole thing here and get me all worked up lol.

than those must be vermid snails , if you can remove that rock /coral using crazy glue gel to seal the openings and they will die off

Last edited:
Spirobids are harmless. Definitely not vermetids which release a mucous net. Very different worms

Back
Top Bottom