sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric faatz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a peace of lr and was told it had sponge on it. Lately it hasnt been yellow, it has been a brownish color. What could this mean?

could be conditions of your tank to placement , I have had some that are yellow then seemingly turn white , if your tank is not exactally the same it will differ , just watch your perameters and it should be fine ... Do you have a pic of the sponge ...
Exposing them to air can kill them so it may well be on its way out

Browning could be due to the food sourse that is available in your tank ... the pigmentation is diffrent from tank to tank .. The colors are a mimic to the foods they eat as well as depth and lighting (yes strong lighting can seem to bleach them out ;) ) from what I am seeing they look fine ... just adjusting to your tank .. not sure if some one else has an opnion but they look fine to me.. Sponges really do not rely on lighting but rather the food in the water colmn to feed ... I am going to assume that with it being a new tank food is a bit more limited for the more "decrative" sponges ... but in time you will accumulate a food source that is natural and occurs freely in your tank ... sponges are filter feeders and quite frankly can not recomend a food that you could target feed off hand ... some folks use a modified H20 bottle with a tube that they push the food into and it goes into the "hood" over the coral to feed ... but again offering that would amiss for me to do.. just keep an eye on them for changes and monitor your perameters ...

Will do thank you. forgot to mention i have a bigger pne and its huge. it has litle holes on the top i figured thats to eat right?

Back
Top Bottom