Spot on yello tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a yellow tang now for about 3 months. He stayed in my QT for 7 weeks with no signs of anything. Noticed today he has a small sort of tan spot on his side about the size of a pencil eraser..any idea what it could be? Looks really good and healthy otherwise...eats fine as well.

Mine has a tan area on the side also that you see when the lights go off. Is it just discoloration. If it is then he`ll be OK. Can you get a pic of it to be sure. I`m looking at mine right now and he has a tan area the size of a quarter with the lights out. It is more visible then.

No this is not the case. I know what your talking about. THIS is a little tan spot about the size of a pencil eraser on its body. Now this morning it has nother smaller one near its fin on the other side of its body. All of my parameters are in order and the tank has been up and running for 4 years. 0 ammonia, 0 trites, less than 10 trates...do water changes of 35 gallons every 2 weeks. Its a 140 gallon tank. I started feeing vitamin C last night....I normally feed just nori with nothing on it. I also feed every 3 days some mysis. I cant tell if the area is raised or not...just looks like its in the skin so speak. I will try and get a pic but dont know if I can or not.
So what if its bacterial? Could it be fungal? What do you do for these? My QT has fish in it I bought from the store 4 weeks ago.

I would think it would be fungal if it was growing and raised. I cant think what it is till I`ve seen it.

I lied its not raised. Also its going to be impossible to get a pic of it. I am thinking it has to be bacterial. So lets assume it is. I assume like with my previous fish that you feed them vitamin C, selcon and Garlic to boost the immunity?

For those of you interested, and if you run across this that I spoke of earlier, my tang is recovering. I started feeding nori 2 times per day soaked in Vitamin C. Within about 4 days the spot is fading and has been. I assume it was bacterial afterall.

fishman said:
For those of you interested, and if you run across this that I spoke of earlier, my tang is recovering. I started feeding nori 2 times per day soaked in Vitamin C. Within about 4 days the spot is fading and has been. I assume it was bacterial afterall.

The fact that he is doing better is truly good news.

Sometimes, discoloration can be the cuase of lack of variety in their diets. I'm glad he is doing better.

Back
Top Bottom