Spot on yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a yellow tang in quarantine and noticed this section on its cheek last night. Not sure how long it's been there. Any ideas?

It has been in QT since Saturday night. Didn't eat for a couple of days but now eats both veggie sheets and flake food. Lots of energy and swims no problems. Conditions in tank are:

temp 80.1
SG 1.024
PH 8.4
ALK 3.2
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite < 0.05
Nitrate 5

Thanks for the help. So it doesn't have to be fatal? I hope not. Not sure but is it contagious? Does it have to stay in the QT until cured? One of the links mentioned providing broccoli and peas. Do you give this to the fish raw and let it pick at it? I guess I can chop up the peas.

Steve

no, you have a chance to help the little guy. i would use the nori and meaty foods like chopped fresh fish from the supermarket. also, you could soak the food in "selcon" before giving it to him.

Thanks Doug. I'll hit the supermarket tomorrow morning and get some fresh fish. Can I get anything or something specific? And is this contagious? If nothing else shows up for the 3 more weeks in QT can I move him to the DT?

Steve

It's not contagious as far as anyone knows. One fish might have it another of the same species might not.

Pristine water conditions, a variety of healthy fish foods and removing carbon filtration if used may help

i've never used broccoli, but i've seen romaine lettuce used at the baltimore aquarium. they didn't chop anything. they just put whole heads of it in the water and the fish did the rest.

If you cannot afford Nori or it is unavailable to you then use Spinach over Romaine. Chopping Nori, Spinach, or Romaine just makes a mess and they will not forage upon chopped pieces as readily unless it is comprised of a prepared food mixture.

Just wondering what signs I'm looking for in recovery? Will that small discoloured patch disappear? It hasn't grown any since last time. Also one of the recomendations was to pull the carbon out of the filter and since then the water quality goes down a lot quicker. I've been doing PWC's every second day but is there something else I can do do filter? Currently I have a HOB filter with only the sponge (no carbon). I've dropped a small bag of ceramic blocks into my DT sump but I don't think that will be ready for another week or so. About that, what part of the sump should that go into to seed? I was thinking of putting it in the refugium? Currently it is right before the bubble trap.

Thanks...Steve

If you can find the factors that are contributing to the HLLE then it should get better and disapear. Three things I would do after all this discussion is 1) Maintain high water quality 2) Have a dependable grounding probe 3) Feed plenty of greens that are high in vitamin C. I think that those three things should help significantly

I have been doing all of the above for my Sailfin which is still in the QT and has shown no signs of improving except for his stomach boy he is a pig. I was told wrong in the beginning and that is why his got so bad until I sent a picture of Desi to someone over in Maine and told me what had and I have been following these guys advise above but I was told with the severity it will take time to heal so I am awaiting patiently for his body to start to heal before putting him back into the main tank.

Thanks all. I've removed the carbon and will head to the LFS to pick up a grounding probe tomorrow. I've been feeding him seaweed sheets with drops of both selcon and garlic. I've also mixed up a batch of Doug's fresh seafood, minus the Formula A as I couldn't find any, and put lots of garlic and selcon in there. Water changes in the QT every 2nd day. He's very active and eats no problem.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom