Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

sps polyps not out

I have a few sps coral frags in my tank and most of them do not extend their polyps out. The two of main concern are my purple tip acros they do not extend any of their polyps except those on their base. They are under 150 watt 10000k MH and 96 watt acintic lights and mid way up on the rocks. I do not have my current levels as I will be testing them tomorrow and post then.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2005, 02:23 AM   #2
steve-s

Check at night after lights out. Polyp extention is not an indication of health one way or the other.

Check your chemistry, water quality and post back with the results. With the various species of soft and LPS, I hope you also use carbon.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well they did not come out anymore after lights out then they do during the day.

Water parameters:
NH4 0
NO3 0
NO2 0
PO4 0
pH 8.1
ALK 3.5
CAL 425

I am running carbon which I switch every week as well as adding seachem reef bulider and reef complete to keep alk/cal in check, I dose those on alternating days at alittle over the manufactures recomended dose.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:05 AM   #4
steve-s

I actually see nothing that would suggest a problem given the info provided except possibley coral proximity. As I said though, polyp extention is SPS corals is not an indication of health one way or the other. If the corals appear healthy otherwise, I would not read so much into this one thing.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My acro polyps only come @ 30 minutes after lights out to feed.

Inverts
Green & Red Musrooms, Pumping Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Green/Purple Ricordia, Orange Ricordia, Green Acro, Bubble Coral, Hammer Coral, Maxima Clam, Crocea Clam, peppermint shrimp, various snails and crabs.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Mated Perculas, Bicolor Blenny, Elaegant Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Clown Goby, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty, Golden Angel
seve1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyp, polyps, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com