Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

star fish dropped its horns

I had ick in my tank so I added m-green. I knew that this would stress out my tank but I didn't think I had a choice.

Since I added it my chocolate starfish's horns have turned white and fallen off and my featherdusters have dropped their tails. What I wanted to know is will my starfish and feather dusters die now that I have finished treatment of the tank.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
steve-s

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

There's a pretty good chance they will not recover from this treatment. Malachite green is not as invert friendly as some might lead you to think.

Why do you believe there was little choice but to use this?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2006, 03:15 AM   #3

I was told about other options that were to expensive for me right now. I looked around the net and found that the M-green would be ok to use and shouldn't hurt my tank too much so I thought that I would try it first before spending the money right up front(bad choice I guess). I tend not to trust the pet stores because they are constantly bs-ing me and trying to get me to spend lots of cash on the tank when it's not required.

My starfish looks pretty bad now. He's just falling apart, literally.It just sad and gross. I think that I'm going to put him out of his misery asap. As for my feather dusters, is there any way to tell if there still alive without really disturbing them too much.

thanks for the help
Old 05-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
steve-s

The best time to check the dusters is after lights out. Once they lose their crowns they tend to be reclusive during the day until it grows back some. They will poke their tops out at night a bit but you may not see much for about 5-7 days. Do not attempt to disturb them otherwise, it will just make matters worse. You'll just have to play wait and see.

Have you been doing good sized water changes and running with carbon to be sure the Malachite is gone?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #5

Yes, i'll do 10% every 3-4 days for about two weeks, then change to a new filter. The m-green should be gone by then from my experience.

I'll leave them alone and see if they come out

Tags
star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com