Star polyp not feeling well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moejoephd

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey i got this star polyp on Sunday, and he still hasnt opened up all the way yet?? Is there a set amount of time i should wait till i get worried about the placement or flow for him?? He is up on the top 3rd of the tank with what id say is moderate flow.

Star polyps can typically take some time to adjust to a new tank. I would give it time but also be wary of your camel shrimp. They are known to prey on sessile inverts.

What kind of lights do you have? How are your water specs?

Cheers
Steve

4x54 t's 2 actinic, and 2 10k's and water is all within tolerance, but just last night my crowie snail nocked the star over and i cant find it in the tank now, so im thinking that the camel did find it flipped over in the middle of the night and just gorged his little heart out. so much for that

If you find it, make sure you keep the star polyp elevated in the top ½ of the tank. If your going to try keeping corals, the camel shrimp needs a new home. 4x54w T5HO is a little borderline for your tank size so stick with soft corals for the most part.

What species of cowrie?

Cheers
Steve

Yup thats what im was thinking aswell. The t'5s are bright and all but im going to get a 175w metal halide to supplement, with that id have no problems with soft coral. I dont know what speices the cowrie is but here is a pic, and btw i found the star polyp, he fell between 2 bigger rocks so i replace him in the tank and now he is opened. So it was the placement then.

You will need two MH lights for the length of your tank. One will only suppliment a 2'x2' area. How deep is the tank? I checked your photo gallery and no pic of the cowrie?

Cheers
Steve

my tank is 20 inches deep, i tried to post the pic of the cowrie but it said that ive reached my 2mb pic limit and i dont know how to get rid of the other ones yet, ill try to get it.

I just loaded it in the gallery under the keyword snail, it's still waiting for aproval though so it should come up soon. On the metal halide subject i will eventually get 2 of them but you know how it is with money and bill right lol.

moejoephd said:
I just loaded it in the gallery under the keyword snail, it's still waiting for aproval though so it should come up soon.
It's a deer cowrie (Cypraea cervinetta). Couldn't tell you how reef safe they are but keep an eye on it.

On the metal halide subject i will eventually get 2 of them but you know how it is with money and bill right lol.
No worries. Just want to be sure you are aware :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom