Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Star Polyps Not Opening

I bought a small frag of green star polyps about 5 days ago and have yet to see them open up. The frag is about 1.5" square sitting under 32 watts of PC 50/50 light and 18 watts of actinic fluorescent lighting in my 10-gallon micro reef. The tank is happily supporting one small fish and a bunch of mushrooms which are spreading like wildfire.

The only thing that I can see that might be wrong with the polyps is that they look like they're covered in a thin film of hair algae. Could this be the problem, and if so, what can I do about it?

I've got 7 blue-leg reef hermits and a few snails in there that I'm hoping will clean off the algae, but no luck so far. I'm afraid I'm going to lose the polyps soon.

Tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
Okay, a couple things.
1.) get them as close to the lights as possible, they need a lot of light.
2.) make sure they have very strong flow. For example, when mine are open they blow VERY hard, it seems as though they would be damaged by such strong flow, but they love it.
3.) After adjusting them blow off any sedimentation and algae with a turkey baster.

Best of luck. If conditions are right they should open up within 24 hours.

Oh, on a side note, are you running any PO4 remover by chance?

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

just wait they will open.
Quote:
1.) get them as close to the lights as possible, they need a lot of light.
i beg to differ. mine are at the bottom of a 24" deep tank with only 260w and are spreading like crazy.
definately lots of flow. they will open without the flow, but with flow they will spead and grow.
leave them alone the more you touch them the longer you will wait.
about a week ago i moved the rock mine are on around and decided to pick off the algae from them and they didnt open fully for three days.

they are weeds

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
douggiestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisc0
Nope.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had some that stayed closed for about a week, never did figure out why.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Brisc0 wrote:

Nope.
if you are not testing for PO4 you should. low levels help control algae. and stony polyps (star polyps are not stony) have trouble assimilating calcium when in the presence of higher levels of PO4. ( if i have erred in this statement someone please correct me.)

Peppermint Shrimp:
Crush two tbs minced mint leaves (no stems) with the juice of two limes, two tbs of sugar and a shot of light rum. Marinade eight cleaned jumbo shrimp for two hours in fridge or overnight (overnight is best). Skewer and salt shrimp. Broil or grill over medium high heat until shrimp become opaque (apx. two and a half min per side). Serve with black beans cooked with garlic, green onions, bacon and topped with a slice of lime.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
The only thing that I can see that might be wrong with the polyps is that they look like they're covered in a thin film of hair algae
my star polyps came with a film of what looks like red hair algae. when covered my polyps won't open either. So I have tried a couple of different things that have worked, but the algae keeps coming back so its a maintenance thing I have to keep up with. But anyway I have tried just using some tube and just syphoning off the algae, but that is kinda rough on the polyps so i have switched to using a new toothbrush and just brushing off the algae. The polyps don't seem to mind the brushing too much, and they open up nicely within the next day or so. so just a thought for you to consider.
good luck,
Mermaid!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:48 PM   #8

This is such a small frag that I'd be concerned about ripping it to pieces with a toothbrush. (The head of a toothbrush would cover probably 25% of it.) Every time I try handling it, pieces of it's purple skin flake off.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."- Willy Wonka
actually its arthur shaugenssy

"we are the music makers. we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by the lone sea breakers. sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers on whom the pale moon beams. and yet we are the movers and shakers of the world forever it seems."- arthur shaugenssy

Peppermint Shrimp:
Old 03-30-2004, 03:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I agree with the turkey baster and flow concerns...it has worked for me...

I have found that star polyps can be tempermental at times. Mine will go a couple of days without opening, then be fine. May be an indication of water quality but not sure. Suggest that, apart from the flow concern, you stay the course and wait it out...

Mark

Tank: [i]150g (5'X2'X2') with 150lbs live rock, 4" DSB[i] Sump: 125g with refuge, kalkwasser drip; Lighting: 2X400W 10,000K MH, 3X55W VHO's; Skimmer: EuroReef 12-3; Circulation: 4600g/hr Sequence pump with 4 return lines; Fish: Yellow Tang, Sailfin Tang, Hep Tang, 2 Percula Clowns, 5 Green Chromis, 6 Line Wrasse, Flame Angel; Corals: various lps / sps; Cleanup: 3 Serpent Stars, 1 Brittle Star, numerous Turbo and Nassarius Snails, Fighting Conch, Blue Starfish; Set-up: October 2003
mcdavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyp, polyps, star, star polyp, star polyps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com