Starfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTyEmily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. Our starfish lost a leg today while we was out at work. What could be he cause of this happening? I will be doing a ammonia and ph test in the next half an hour to check the levels. We also have a pistol shrimp, could he have done the damage? Is there anything we need to do to the starfish to make it better?
Thanks ?

Just done the ammonia which was between 0-0.1 ad the ph was between 7.9-8.1 anybody any ideas of what might have happened? I shall post a pic of the starfish now :)

My guess would be the pistol shrimp. Just try to keep water levels great.

TeamTyEmily said:
Hello all. Our starfish lost a leg today while we was out at work. What could be he cause of this happening? I will be doing a ammonia and ph test in the next half an hour to check the levels. We also have a pistol shrimp, could he have done the damage? Is there anything we need to do to the starfish to make it better?
Thanks dde0a

Starfish can regrow legs. It'll take time. With a pistol in the tank, it may lose more limbs, though. Sandsifting stars, as you know, bury themselves in the sand. Unfortunately, that's where the pistol lives- in the sand. So the star can inadvertently put himself right where the pistol is, could even possible have a limb in the pistols burrow and not realize. Pistols are scavengers and aren't gonna pass up a free meal. :(

Starfish can regrow legs. It'll take time. With a pistol in the tank, it may lose more limbs, though. Sandsifting stars, as you know, bury themselves in the sand. Unfortunately, that's where the pistol lives- in the sand. So the star can inadvertently put himself right where the pistol is, could even possible have a limb in the pistols burrow and not realize. Pistols are scavengers and aren't gonna pass up a free meal. :(

Many thanks for your help. We did wake up this morning and another limb was missing. Poor Starfish. Would you leave the starfish in there or take him out?

TeamTyEmily said:
Many thanks for your help. We did wake up this morning and another limb was missing. Poor Starfish. Would you leave the starfish in there or take him out?

Personally, I would take him out and see if LFS will take him back (either for free or for credit). I have a pistol, and this is the reason I didn't get a sandsifting star. :(

Back
Top Bottom