Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely not the starfish. I would vote on too much light or some parameter being off. What did you say your alk was at?

Well 7.3 after water change and like 6.7ish before water changes. I do water changes every Saturday. 15 gallons

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh...well, I would say this is the problem. I believe you are at the point now where you'll have to add alkalinity on a regular basis to keep up with the demand. BRS has some pretty cheap bulk kits.

I have additives at home but havent set up my pump yet. Do i just try to keep it at 7.3?

7.3 is fine if you can keep it that way. Do you have a salifert alk kit? I would invest in one. I am not a fan of API kits. Test every day for about a week to figure out how much you need to add daily, then test every so often after that, just to make sure.

This is the one i have. Anyone have experience with it?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416857640.373296.jpg

Yes i do have a salifert alk test kit

Ok so is a 7.3 a good level? I hear most people keep it between 8-9? So i did a formula and it says i should ad 10.4 grams into my tank of that product to rise it from 6.7 to 7.3. should i do more or? only salifert kit i have is for alk and not cal or mag or ph. so I'm scared going higher would mess up the rest. i have api kit for ph and cal but i have no kits for mag atm. Should i invest in salifert for them or the henna checkers?

Whatever you like, but The most important one is the alk test IMO. Yes, 7.3 is fine as long as you can keep it there.
Just add the alkalinity solution slowly.

Also do zoas require higher light? I'm reading online and it says placement middle to top aswell as moderate lighting. so should i make my leds brighter? they are at 80% blue and white at the moment

Some do and some don't , but generally, they are found in shallow water which means they can do well in high lighting. You have Tao panels, correct? If so, that's plenty of light. I have mostly acropora and they are doing well under less than that at the moment.

Yes i do. I have my zoas at bottom but my acros millis and other sps at top/middle and they are doing great

Ok so i dissolved 10 grams of powder into 2 liters of ro water and set up my doser to pump out 285.71 mL/day spreadout to 24 times a day. So in 7 days it should use up 2 liters. So just keep an eye on it now or what?

Back
Top Bottom