Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i remeber seeing one of those little asterina starffish on my glass a long time ago but i thought nothing about it. Now my candy cane and hammer head are closed up aswell as my zoas which have started magically disappearing. Do you guys think its the little starfish? If so should i get a harlequin shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

check all your parameters and post up the results with numbers please !!
if you only see one star doubtful that's the issue
age of your tank , size , lighting , ect
this way you can get a proper diagnosis

All parameters are in check. Tank is a year old. Use 165watt full spectrem leds

Salt 1.025
Nitrates 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Alk 7.0
Ph 8.1
Cal 520

alk is a tad low to start but doubt that's it
calcium is a little high this could be part of the prob but most likely not the issue
as for livestock do you have hermits hanging around the corals or fish basting past corals that may be irritating them
or maybe clown trying to host , anyone kicking up tons of sand
just trying to rule things out
do you use RO/DI or tap water
is the flow to strong on corals
placement in tank
you mentioned starfish are there tons and do you see them on or near coral

Ive only seen one of the stars on the glass along time ago. My clowns are hosting a rbta so would they even want to host it? I do use ro/di. They are placed lower with less flow and they have been doing amazing till now.

my clowns host about every thing in my tank , if it wiggles there on it lol
fish chasing one another brushing up against it could do it
that happens every so often in my tank if its only been today give them a chance they may reopen just irritated at the moment
parameters look good other than alk being a tad low and calcium a little high but there not far enough out of wake to be a issue

Ok maybe for the hammerhead but what about the zoas and the candy cane?

my zoa's will close up along with candy cane if all were irritated from a fish swooping by
or if there was a sand storm I take it there all in the same immediate area
this happens in the wild too , I'd hide too if I was being bothered
don't sound like anything to be alarmed about

But the zoas disappearing? And just did a dip and the only thing that seemed to have came off where pods

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416795462.620927.jpg heres a pic of the candy cane. It bounced back after i dipped it and now its back to looking bad? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416795505.985427.jpg and the zoas. As you can see they got really tiny. Aswell as the top left alll those little holes are what use to be zoas

Well the api teat kits aren't the best. And it one of those ebay lights from China. 165 watt full spectrum lights

I have it over half my tank. Ive only been using half my tank for corals at the moment. Planning on getting second light soon

Its running 75-80% right now I believe

Back
Top Bottom