Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Here is some good info on hypo.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/martrthyposalfaqs.htm

Old 08-04-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I'm certain of that. It's just like lice...even if there's only one egg, reinfestation is inevitable. I just moved him over to the QT about 20 minutes ago and am watching him. I decided to work from home so I could watch him the first several hours.

One question about Quarryshark's advice, though. I thought 1.000 was pure water...how is it possible to get down to 0.009? I'm hoping that's 1.009, because I think a refractometer can only measure down to 1.000. And when you say "buffer" the pH, is there a product you can recommend? I've got discus buffer that will take FW DOWN to 5.8-6.0, but I think I want to keep it higher in a SW tank, right? So then I need a different kind of buffer, if I read you right.

Thanks!
--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
FW2-5g, 1 Baby Gold Marble Angel (raised from fry), 6 Zebra Danios
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW3-30g, 2 mated Gold Marble Angels (Oscar/Yenta)
SW2-20g, QT, currently empty
FW4-30g, currently empty
FW5-20g, 2 Gold Angels (non-paired)
SW3-35g (REFUGIUM for SW1) - EVIL ChocChipStar, Nassarius and Turbo snails
SW4-55g, 4 BlueGreen Chromis, King's Crown snail.
AquaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea he meant 1.009. Ph need to stay around 8 to 8.2, I'm not sure what to use to get this.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 05:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I mean't 1.009. As for the buffer, sorry I use one my LFS makes themselves, works great. Check with you lfs, they should have something.
I try to keep mine just like Gerald at 8.0-8.2. With hypo in a relatively small system It does try and creep down. I use a monitor and add a small pinch or 2 of buffer if it starts to fall near 8.0. It seemed to fall more when I was lowering the spg, it is more stable now that we are at treatment level.
You don't want to do quick changes in ph, they should be gradual so monitoring is essential.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, I'm swapping out water one cup at a time....I will do it VERY slowly. I'll check my LFS, need to get some more water anyway. I'm feeling better about this treatment already, you guys are all smart.

Quarryshark...I checked out your gallery...INCREDIBLE!

--Aquabear

FW1-16g, 5 Zebra danios, 4 Pristella Tetras, 4 Black Skirt Tetras, 2 Gold Barbs, 1 Brush-nose Pleco
SW1-75g, (80# LR), Scarlett hermits, Turbo snails, Percula Clownfish (Gizmo), Oscellaris Clownfish (Whizzer), Indian Yellowtail Angelfish (Mikado), Royal Gramma (Orpheus), Black Sailfin Blenny (Casper), Yellow Tang (Pele), Racoon Butterflyfish (Raptor), Lyretail Anthia (Juliette)
FW4-30g, currently empty
Old 08-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Aquabear!! Looks like you have some pretty cool setups yourself!
Make sure to check out the links in the post above. Great info!!
Good luck, many of us have been/are there.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:48 PM   #17
steve-s

I hope this doesn't confuse matters but if your able to use a refractometer, target 14 ppt not 1.009 SG. This will help with daily evaporation. As the water evaporates, the salinity rises. Targeting a slightly lower salinity will help keep the salinity from rising above 16 ppt in a given day.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-20-2004, 11:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey Steve:

Sorry, I hadn't checked this thread in a bit. My refractometer does measure ppt, but I feel dumb here....what is the difference? I check the water twice per day to keep it exactly at 1.009, and compensate for evaporation. Does it really matter whether I measure in ppt or sg? I'm all for anything to make it more precise, but my OCD needs to know why.

--Aquabear

FW4-30g, currently empty
Old 08-21-2004, 01:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

AquaBear,

You are right, there is a lot of conflicting, out of date and inaccurate information about ich. That is why you should look for references at the end of an article that were used as support for what was said. If you look in the library at http://www.MarineAquariumAdvice.com you will find a 5 part series on ich, "News from the Warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans". Each article has a long list of references from the scientific journals on the subject.

Cheers,
Terry B
Terry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #20
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBear
My refractometer does measure ppt, but I feel dumb here....what is the difference? I check the water twice per day to keep it exactly at 1.009, and compensate for evaporation. Does it really matter whether I measure in ppt or sg?
Not too much difference at all as long as it's with the use of a refractometer. What threw me was when most people use a refractometer they report values in ppt as a rule. SG is mainly reported when using a swing arm hydrometer.

If you're targeting 1.009 SG with the refractometer, then your in good shape. That will correspond closer to 14 ppt salinity and allow for a greater margin of error in daily evaporation. The 2 ppt can make a large difference in the success of the treatment. If evap allows the salinity to rise above 16 ppt, the treatment will often need to be restarted.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
ich, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com