Starfish eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaycie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally put the live rock that was curing in a tub into my tank. When I was pouring the water that the rock was in into my bathtub, I found a starfish. It's black with white spots and is black in the middle. (identification?) Well, I put it into my tank on a rock yesterday, and now I cant find it. When I came home there were hermit crabs where I left it. Could the hermits or a fish have eaten it? It's small, fit on the tip of my finger. Also, there is some tentacle like thing that comes out of holes in the rock, any idea on what this is? Any info would be helpful. (By the way, new to this whole forum thing so I'm not sure if I should have put this in an old post or started a new one. Sorry for my ignorance)

Sounds like a little brittle starfish and regardless of the ID, it's tiny...it can be anywhere...maybe it was eaten...maybe not. If not...no guarantees you'll ever see it again.

A photograph of those tentacle like things sticking out of the rocks would be helpful. Most likely another starfish...could maybe even be a fireworm or bristleworm.

Watch the tank at night. You can use a red light to observe the tank without disturbing the night time cycle. There's a whole other set of life taking shape. You may get to see these mysterious critters at night come crawling out of their daytime hide outs.

Have fun discovering your tank :)

BTW...It's always good to make a new topic and keep the 'thread' to it's subject. A thread is the line of replies that follow within the topic post. When you have a different topic to bring up, create a new topic. You're doing good :) LOL.

Are the tentical things like almost clear looking and looks like they are scavaging around ? I have a TON of these things in my tank. Never knew what they were but kinda cool looking. Looks like spaghetti almost.

Back
Top Bottom