Starfish in need of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Astew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two orange starfish and they r loosing legs/arms it almost looks as if they are disinigrating. What is going on?

Most likely doing exactly that; disintegrating.

We will need you to post your water parameters to start off, to see how good your water quality is. Can you give us more information about your tank as well? Size of the tank, all the livestock you have in there. Do you have a sump? Or just a regular HOB filter?

We need more info to determine what is causing the sea stars to disintegrate.

Odds are at this point, those starfish are going to die. I agree with Zero, more information needed.

Good luck. I bought a chocolate chip starfish and it died within three days. It was doing the same think. I got it out of my tank so it wouldn't infect or cause any problems to my other fish. For me, my ph was low so I'm not sure if that was the problem since my two clown fish were fine. How long has this been happening for? It might be too late.

most starfish don't do well in closed systems. i have heard that sometimes it's due to the way they were collected. exposing them to air can kill them i'm told.

Well if exposing it to air is bad then I guess the guy at petco killed my starfish before it even made it to my tank. Don't worry I got a good fish store now where I get my fish now.

Once they start disintegrating, it's time to get them out, nothing more you can do for them. You definitely need to check what your water parameters are and fix whatever issues you have before getting a new one.

The air thing isn't as important as it is with puffers, but people have strong feelings about it. I've had starfish that did fine and some that struggled, all touched air. They're just so frragile.

Are starfish reef safe? I've been wondering...the crappy lfs told me yes. But they also push fish to cycle tanks lol

I've had them in my reef happily, I don't know that I would again though. I had forgotten my fish shift rocks and my starfish wound up crushed.

The Chocolate Chip star that was mentioned above is not reef safe. According to Liveaquaria

"The Orange Sea Star is very intolerant of sudden changes in oxygen levels, salinity and pH of the water, and cannot tolerate copper-based medications. The drip acclimation method is highly recommended for all Sea Stars due to their intolerability to changes in water chemistry. It should never be exposed to air while handling. "

One of the key things stated is that it should never be exposed to air. Always make sure that the LFS does not expose it to air and that you dont when you add to the tank. I`ve had several stars in my tank through the years and made sure of no exposure to air.

My Chocolate Chip starfish did the same thing I even tried to give it silversides cut up and it ended up dieing within one week after I got it and I have never bought another starfish again. And now I have those tiny whites ones so far so good with them not hurting anything but it seems like there is not as many as I had about a month ago. Do not know what is happening to them. I was kind of enjoying watching one grow from size of a pinhead to about the size of a dime and now I have not seen it anymore.

I love my brittle star. The guy is so cool to watch scrambling out of the rocks at feeding time. Even though he's not much to look at, I'd still recommend him to anyone looking for a starfish. They do alot more then just slowly move around and stick on the glass.

had my cc starfish for a year went through a tank crash (do to overstocking rookie mistake)had to take it of main tank it ate everything in sight.so i setup a seperate tank just for him.have another star fish in him and three yellow tailed damsels,2 hairy crabs.

Back
Top Bottom