Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Starfish lost a leg (or is it arm??)

We got a neat orange/red starfish last week ... I don't even remember the name of it as I was out of town and just got back.

Anyway, a few hours ago I noticed he was hanging from a rock ledge, like he was just going to drop off it to the rocks below. Then I went to lunch.

I just returned and what do you know, now I have a 4 legged starfish sitting on the rocks below, with his other leg still attached to the ledge he was hanging from!

Say what?! There's no way any of my fish did this - they aren't big enough to bite through his leg like that. But it's also pretty hard to believe that his leg just snapped in half and he fell.

Is this normal? Will he live? Will it grow back?

And do starfish have legs or arms?

Old 07-28-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
This is relativly normal, and he should grow back his arm. Dont take out his arm though, it may grow four others and become a new starfish too! This happens with some starfish species and may happen with yours.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It would actually be a "ray" as opposed to arm or leg!

As mentioned, Linckia are one of the types of starfish that can regenerate from a single ray. Many though cannot unless part of the central disk is still intact. I would identify your starfish if possible and go from there.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wasn't here when they put in the new stuff, and I'm waiting for my LFS to fax over an invoice with the names of all the fish, etc. I know, I know ... but bear with me as I'm new and learning as fast as I can.

Here's a pic. The lone ray finally fell off the rock it was clinging to and landed right next to the rest of it's body. They were both moving a little, but not so much right now ...

Can anyone identify this starfish?

Old 07-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Maybe this?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=23&pCatId=581

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah that's probably it, unless there is another type that looks identical to that...
Old 07-29-2004, 11:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

wouldn't the leg turn into another star fish? 8O
60 gal s/w tank - 1 adult koran angel, 1 yellow tang, , 10 blue leg hermit crab, 15 snail, , 1 tri-bar damsel, 1 chocolate star fish, 20 blue legs hermit, 20 snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 blue damsel, 1 citron goby, and 1 dragon goby
Fuvibo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't know, neither is doing very well right now. The starfish with its remaining 4 rays looks in bad shape all of a sudden ... almost like he is disintegrating for lack of a better word. It looks like little bits and pieces of him are just falling off his body??? The lone ray is just sitting there for awhile now, although I think it might still be moving every now and then. It's so weird. 12 hours after he lost his ray he looked otherwise normal, now he looks like this. Is he just freaking out from the trauma of losing his ray? At this rate there won't be much left of him in another day or so!

Old 07-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
how long have you had him? how long did you drip him before adding him to the tank?
Old 07-29-2004, 06:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Had him exactly 1 week today. Drip acclimated him for almost 10 hours and he was fine for the first 6 days ... crawling all over the tank. Until yesterday when he was hanging from a ledge and one of his rays snapped in half ...

Tags
starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com