starfish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rambo64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got an orange starfish and i noticed little bumps and then today they got alot bigger and it looks sick so if anyone knows the answer please give me some info
-Thankyou

Do the bumps look like rotten places? Are they getting bigger?

If it is an orange Linckia, my guess is poor acclimation procedures and possible exposure to air are the cause. It will require pristine water conditions to recover.

starfish

do starfish shed or peel or anything like that?

Merged your two Sea Star posts and moved to sick fish/coral forum:

As already mentioned Sea Stars require perfect water conditions for long term health. The bumps/shedding are more then likely sickness and is not normal.

Is it still active and have you seen it feed?

It is still active. He has been moving around the tank and is still clings to the sides of the rocks. I did wake up this morning to find that one of his legs has decomposed, for lack of a better word. It looks like it has turned to mush and is just hanging on to him by a thread. He looks like he is in bad shape. The funny thing is that I had the water tested before I bought him and Amonnia was 0 nitrite was 0 nitrate was 5ppm PH was 8.2 and my salinaty was 1.022. So my water looks like it was in good shape. How can I tell if it is feeding?

Thanks

I floated him for 45 minutes adding some water every 10 and then emptying half of it out and then filling it up again. But I do think when we acclimated we took him out into the air for a few seconds and then into the tank. Any ideas on how I could transfer him from the bag into the tank without exposing him to the air and without getting any water from the store into my tank?

You'll end up with a little of the store's water in your tank. Those should be drip acclimated (actually, I drip all my critters) for at least 2 hours. As for getting them out of your acclimation bucket, you can scoop him up with a plate or small tupperware bowl. If you exposed him to the air, he might not make it.

If he is already losing legs, then I agree w/ Roka, he probably won't make it. I'd remove him to a QT tank if possible, that has stable water conditions, and see if he makes it.

Sorry to say...he probably won't.

He wont be moving. Yes even just a few seconds in the air will be enough not to make it. If you drip acclimate or even add water from the tank like you did. Most of the LFS water will be gone. I just drop the bag low enough to quickly take him out in the tank water and pull the bag up. I`m afraid if he`s losing legs then there is not much hope IME. Hopefully you can prove me wrong.

Is this what is happening?
DCP01171sm.JPG

DCP01174sm.JPG

This guy blames it on poor acclimation and says he has seen rays form other starfish while most of it died.

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/starfish_acclimatisation.html

Quick aside here. Can someone tell me why Linkia especially are so prone to being exposed to air? I still can't figure it out, is it the rapid change in O2?

Well I woke up this morning and the starfish was dead. He really looked bad and was not moving anymore. Unfortunately I learned the hard way on how to take care of such a beautiful animal. In the future I will be more vigilant and really study up on something that I am not 100% sure about. Also not always take what the LFS tells me as true.

Back
Top Bottom