Starfish Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my starfish!? It looks like he got attacked but I just cant tell. Want to make sure he dosent have some sort of sickness.

Attachments

• Photo_68657814-F226-E591-94A1-161D4AFD8710.jpg
    Photo_68657814-F226-E591-94A1-161D4AFD8710.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 102
  • Photo_6D4D6B39-3ED2-9B03-2C46-C3651FC8EC86.jpg
    Photo_6D4D6B39-3ED2-9B03-2C46-C3651FC8EC86.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 104
He's been in the tank for over a year. I'm not sure how long he was at the store. Is there something else that my have caused this or is it just age?

Parameters are good,actually the best they have ever been. I'm thinking maybe he didn't have adaquite food. I have about 20 hermits, 4 emeralds, two are huge. A Sally lightfoot and an erchin.

do you even know what that starfish eats? many of them have not been figured out yet. is that a fromia?

No, Im not sure what they eat. Usually I feed with Rod food original. Everything eats it, recently I've been feeding with spectrum small and large pellets. Haven't gotten around to ordering more food. To the best of my knowlage its a red knob. There not supposed to be reef safe but the guys at the lfs told me they are fine. He actually had this one in his reef display tank for a while. I also had him for over a year with no problems. He's now lost all of his legs, but he still climes the glass all day. Its sad really, I don't like watching.

they say when the starfish climb the glass, it's because there is no food anywhere on the sand or rock for it. i don't know how true that is, but it's possible. especially considering current events.
i don't think this one eats meaty foods.

I remember, maybe six months ago, my coral beauty angel died. He fell to an unreachable spot in my right pile of LR. When I looked through the side of the tank I could see the corpse. The starfish actually went right to the dead fish, got on top of him and stayed there for three days before being pushed away by shrimp and crabs. I'm not sure if he was eating, but then what else would he have been doing? I haven't seen him for a few hrs now, not sure if I will again.

Once or twice I can remember him covering a pellet for an hr or so then move on. When I first got him, for the first three months or so he got much bigger and more colorful. Then he did seem to slowly thin out a bit and get a more brownish color. He stayed that way for over 9 months until this happened, I thought he was fine.

My sand sifter did the same thing. Heartbreaking. They are very sensitive to ANY changes so pretty much anything can cause them to fall apart before your eyes. It is best to remove them from your tank at the first sign of trouble. Unfortunately, I agree, once they get to that point, there is nothing that can be done. Sorry for your loss. :-(

Back
Top Bottom