starfish starving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
my tank has cycled and I still haven't gotten any fish yet.. I was waiting to go somewhere maybe this weekend but may end up ordering online..I've only put some pieces of shrimp and some phytoplex in my tank with lr.com rock... I'm looking at my starfish's tentacle sticking out of the rock and noticed that it's tips are looking like they are eroding.. I've read that it is this way because of underfeeding.. what should I do till I get a fish? It's been about a week and a half since I've put the rock in..

If it's a hitchiker star it most likely deteriorated by the cycle process itself. They can actually filter feed from the water so it will stilll get some sustinance. If it's a brittle/serpent type star, it should recover as long as the water specs improve. How big is the star and can you easily see the body or just the arms?

Cheers
Steve

I just fed it a piece of shrimp.. it took it with the quickness :).. If I had to guess it's a juvenile maybe 3 or 4" I think it's a spiny brittle star..I've seen it out before..but now it stays in a little hole in the rock

Good stuff!! Keep watch on the water specs though, feeding is only part of the problem.

Cheers
Steve

Ok.. my trates may be up 10ppm.. no trites and doesn't look like I have any ammonia.. ..My salt looks to be 1.026 or 34 ppt on the refractometer...the hydrometer reads 32ppt or just above 1.023..ph is good.. I only added a capful of phytoplex last night.. should I add more than just one? If it is a filter feeder could this feed it as well? And I haven't done a water change since my water stopped showing ammo and trites.. which was a week or so ago...should I do a water change soon?

You should really keep up with weekly water changes with newer tanks, especially once fish are added. It takes some time for NNR to take hold and effectively deal with nitrates so the water changes are your best defence against nutrient build up. It also helps maintain a stable chemistry.

As for the phytoplex, you really don't need more than a capful a week if that. The star won't benefit from it much especially if it can be target fed. About all it will do for now is help the pod population some but moreso increase the possibility of nuisance algaes.

Cheers
Steve

when I first got the lr this is the starfish(I believe) that had some limbs missing.. they had broken off in transport I saw one twitching on the floor.. could this be the reason? He's been kickin since the 5th which is when I got the rock.

Oceanicsublimat said:
Ok.. I'll be getting fish later this week.. is that high trates?..I'll change the water tomorrow then..
No, the nitrates aren't that bad at all but once fish are added that could change quickly enough.

when I first got the lr this is the starfish(I believe) that had some limbs missing.. they had broken off in transport I saw one twitching on the floor.. could this be the reason? He's been kickin since the 5th which is when I got the rock.
More than possible. Not to worry though, as long as your water quality remains good the limb will grow back.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom