Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Starting from scratch and need some help!!

I bought a used 5 year old 92gal bow front SW tank six months ago. The person helped me set it all up we moved everything, Live rock, sand, crushed corral, three power heads,UV sterilizer, protein skimmer, and 16 fish/clean up crews. Things were going great for five months. in the past month, a fish caught ick, I was told at a LFS, that I thought was good, to do nothing the UV should fix it. I went back in a week as it was getting worse, still told to do nothing. Within in the last two weeks I have lost 13 fish. I am left with 2 cleaner shrimp, and 1 jawfish. What should I do?? Some questions I have is should I be using a filter, if so which one? What should I do with the ick, which I am sure is still in the tank? What should I do with the LR which is now growing Green and brown algae like crazy? I planned on starting with Fish only and once I have the hang of it I would add reef. My water has been perfect. I have a RO system which I use to make water changes. I really thought I had it down But now am at a loss. Thanks in advance for the advise..

Old 02-03-2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Well you need to get the ich out of the tank. Since you only have 1 fish in there, I would take it back to the fish store and leave the tank empty of parasitic hosts(fish) for about 2 months. This will allow the parasites in the system to go through their life cycle and die off. But ALL the fish must be out for it to work.
The UV is not the answer.
Here is more info on ich.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html

BTW, welcome to AA!!

Old 02-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, first thing I would do is to take the last fish out and QT him while treating him for ich. Then leave your main tank fallow(fish free) for 6-8wks. This give the parasite time to die off. I would cut the lights back to maybe 4-5 hours a day and stop feeding the tank. Or just feed it every three days or so for the scavengers. The algae bloom could be caused by to many nutrients in the tank from overfeeding. As for the filtration, if you have enough live rock and enough powerheads to turn the water over at least 10 X's per hour, you don't need a filter. The lr acts as your filter. HTH
Old 02-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh and any fish you get in the future, make sure you qt them for 4 weeks before putting them in the display tank.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:05 PM   #5

Two Months is the time frame. What about adding some reef in that time will I cause any more damage?? Or lose any more money??
Old 02-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What about adding some reef in that time will I cause any more damage??
Fallow time is a great time to add nonfish items. Fish are the only hosts for parasites. Try and get reef items out of a fishless tank if you can.
Better get that algae under control first though.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #7

I will be doing some cleaning of the tank this weekend and will get the algae under control and fish out. What is allowed in the tank in the next two months?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read the above article, it will help.
Everything but fish can/should stay. Just make sure you "feed" the tank a couple times a week for your inverts and to keep your biological filter strong.
What is you PO4 reading? Could be the source of the algae. Do you use tap water or RO water?
Here is some more good reading on the ich subject.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ichartmar.htm
Old 02-03-2005, 09:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anything but fish. Inverts wont be affected by the ick and wont support it either. I have added some easy corals in the past two weeks since I emptied the fish out. See my signature below to get an idea of what can be in the tank during this fallow period.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #10

I am using RO water. With 13 fish dying in such a short time I might have ons dead one still in there. This is why the tank will get Overhauled this weekend!! Just to make sure the tank is clear of any dead fish parts!! Thanks So much This has Helped SOOOOOOOOOOO Much!!!!!!

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com