Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
is back to save the day!

Do you know what was the first fish to get the ich?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Caribbean Blue Tang was the first and he died in less then a day, he probably had it longer but i couldn't tell if it was bubbles or spots, when I examined him after he passed he was covered with them and it looked like nothing when I went to bed the night before, so now everyone is in QT going thru HYPO. I just hope I do it right.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #13
is back to save the day!

darns that sucks bigtime. And thats why im never getting tangs. lol.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
Thanks for the info Kurt. Do you think 2 gallons every 12 hours is to much in a 20 gallon volume, should it be 1 gallon every 12 hours? When you say bring up 1 point a day you mean from say 1.009 to 1.010 (day 2) to 1.011 (day 3) and so on?...
I went back and reread my favorite hypo article...

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Hyposalinity Treatment

... and it looks like you're following it regarding the lowering of salinity. (Replace 20% of tank water with fresh water every 12 hours.) I think when I did hypo, I did the 20% every 24 hours. Either way, you should be fine.

Other articles I've read suggest the slooooooow raising of salinity - the article I linked to doesn't really spell it out very well. But yeah... that's what I meant about a point a day... 1.009 to 1.010, etc.

One thing to watch for that took me by surprise was testing for pH at lower levels to make sure they stay stable. (With less buffer naturally in the water, your pH may drop more than normal.) Using my SW pH test kit, the colors were waaaay different than I was used to. But then when I looked at the Freshwater color card that came with it, the colors looked closer to those. It made sense when I thought about it... at 1.009, I'm closer to FW than SW. So you have to do a little "creative interpretation" looking at both the FW and SW color cards to figure out where you really are. Kind of. Let's just say this is one instance when a pH meter would come in handy! Not a real big problem... just one that caught me by surprise. A little buffer now and then kept things fine for me. But you might not have a problem with a bigger quarantine tank. (Mine is 10g.)
Old 08-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kurt, Thank you for your help and going back & researching Hypo for me and the heads up on the PH.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
darns that sucks bigtime. And thats why im never getting tangs. lol.
Yeah it does suck. Hopefully we will make it through this HYPO treatment OK with the knowledge of what not to do. On the positive side this is a great learning experience and that it happened way before the tank became a reef.
Oh yeah, I was also able to get 50 GAL of RO water into the DT, so it is all working out for the best.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #17
is back to save the day!

Nice.Im glad its working out so far. Please keep us posted on how your fish are doing. Hope for the best!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanx man, I shall keep everyone posted.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #19
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
When you bought your refractometer, did you also get a bottle of calibration fluid? FYI, our refractometers are made to measure the salinity of saltwater (brine/saline solution),not seawater...and there is a big difference. If you only calibrated your refracto with RO water, it's calibrated for saltwater. You need calibration fluid to calibrate it for seawater. When properly calibrated for seawater, when you put RO water on it, it will show as less than 0 ppt.
This might be vital for hypo.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
When you bought your refractometer, did you also get a bottle of calibration fluid? FYI, our refractometers are made to measure the salinity of saltwater (brine/saline solution),not seawater...and there is a big difference. If you only calibrated your refracto with RO water, it's calibrated for saltwater. You need calibration fluid to calibrate it for seawater. When properly calibrated for seawater, when you put RO water on it, it will show as less than 0 ppt.
This might be vital for hypo.
Yes I did as per your direction when I was researching which one to get. I bought the Pinpoint Salinity calibration fluid. I calibrate before each use because the refractometer seems to drift between each usage. After calibrating with fluid I clean the unit and test with RO which is dead 0 ppt. I wish the unit didn't drift, but am extremely comfortable with it. Thanks once again Larry.

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com