Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need Help Starting hypo

Hi Guys
My LFS finally got a 20 gal long in and I picked it up, I'm going to start Hypo treatment and want to make doubly sure this is OK. I want to fill the QT tank with water from the main tank so I can get the fish out of the DT tank asap. Then I'm going to remove 2 gallons of water every 12 hours and replace it with straight RO until the salinity gets down to 1.009 from there I will maintain the salinity for the next 4 weeks then do the reverse until the QT water is equal to the DT water. I have 2 Perculas, 2 firefish gobies and 1 flame angel, unfortunately I lost my Blue caribbean tang to Ich. I know it's my fault and I should have set up a QT before hand, unfortunately a hard lesson learned. Please let me know if I have this right. Thanx

Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Only thing that jumps out at me is that you want to raise the salinity much slower than you lower it. Jumping from normal salinity to 1.009 over the course of 3-4 days should be OK, but coming back up you want to bring that up only a point or so a day. Yeah... that means it's going to take 2 weeks, but hey - you're already 4+ weeks into the process anyway, right?!

Also, don't forget that the 4 week timer starts after you see the last white spot go away. If it comes back, the 4 week timer starts over again.

Good luck, and congrats for going this route!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Sorry to hear about the tang. Hope the boss isn't too upset. Sounds like you've got a good plan though. Best of luck
Old 08-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Only thing that jumps out at me is that you want to raise the salinity much slower than you lower it. Jumping from normal salinity to 1.009 over the course of 3-4 days should be OK, but coming back up you want to bring that up only a point or so a day. Yeah... that means it's going to take 2 weeks, but hey - you're already 4+ weeks into the process anyway, right?!

Also, don't forget that the 4 week timer starts after you see the last white spot go away. If it comes back, the 4 week timer starts over again.

Good luck, and congrats for going this route!
Thanks for the info Kurt. Do you think 2 gallons every 12 hours is to much in a 20 gallon volume, should it be 1 gallon every 12 hours? When you say bring up 1 point a day you mean from say 1.009 to 1.010 (day 2) to 1.011 (day 3) and so on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
Sorry to hear about the tang. Hope the boss isn't too upset. Sounds like you've got a good plan though. Best of luck
Thanks Flake, she is a little heart broken but understands what happened and is very angry at every whit spot that floats on by. She is helping me setup the QT tank and assisted me with the support frame I put together for it. You know what is really messed up, one day it looked like bubbles then they went away then a couple of days later the same thing (Each time it went away over night and no other fish in the tank had it or even has it now, but I'm not taking any chances), then I notice 2 white spots in the evening and planned on getting a tank and doing the QT in the AM only to wake up and find him looking like he went through WWIII, took a shower came back and he was gone. It was hard to tell the difference, I have to cure the little micro bubble leakage getting into the tank from the skimmer so it's easier to identify. Lesson learned, everything gets QT'd from now on.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I mentally picture her shaking a fist at anything that floats by. It's a tough way to learn, but this one lesson will help so many others.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
I mentally picture her shaking a fist at anything that floats by. It's a tough way to learn, but this one lesson will help so many others.
She is shaking her fist, but was cheering me on with catching the fish. Yes it is tough way to learn, I hope this will show others what not to do and how to fix it. I'm going to put up a thread about don't let this happen to you
Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

What a bummer. I'm so sorry to hear about it.

I have never had to treat for marine ich, so have no advice to offer. But my fingers are crossed.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
What a bummer. I'm so sorry to hear about it.

I have never had to treat for marine ich, so have no advice to offer. But my fingers are crossed.
Thanx SM. Hopefully this will be the 1st and last time, from now on everything goes into the QT. I'm happy that the Boss is handling it very well and is very supportive, Great qualities for a 5yr old.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to hear, kieth. First Ive heard you had a problem.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicasmarine View Post
Sorry to hear, kieth. First Ive heard you had a problem.
Thanx Zack, I'll keep you all posted on the progress, I had to remove almost all of the rock to get them out of the tank(it took 3 hrs), they are in the QT (20 Gallon Long) right now and they all ate which relieved me a lot. I'm going to add 2 gallons of RO in 1 gallon increments then recheck the salinity to make sure I'm not dropping it too quickly(in about an hour). I'm a little nervous about this hypo thing, so like my father inlaw use to say slow and steady and everything should be OK. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com