Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2003, 01:36 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Starved tubastrea.spp (Sun coral)

I got a sun coral from a friend at work. He'd had it for a couple of months and didn't know it had to be fed. It looks pretty bad with lots of polyps pretty well wasted away. There are a few that still extend though. I put it in my 20 and waited a couple of days to see if any poylps would extend to feed...nothing. I have it in a bowl now...finally got the poylps to begin opening with some clam juice and Kent Zooplex. I've been sitting here chopping up krill with a razor blade and feeding each polyp tiny bits with tweezers. Any ideas on how to save it? I guess I'll try feeding it every night like this unless someone has another solution. The poylps that are opening are gorging on the krill and opening back up for more in about 4-5 minutes. Can it be overfed or will it stop opening completely when it's had enough? My other (healthy, I think) one gets dumped in a bowl about three times a week to fend for itself with some home made frozen food...seems to be doing well so far.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've also found the bowl method to be a very effective way of feeding these corals. I would agree that the best way to save the starved coral is to continue to feed it as often as possible, with a variety of meaty foods.

Old 06-02-2003, 02:26 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Well...it's now 1:15 am and this thing is still eating. This is worse than feeding a litter of piglets! Some polyps, although they seem to be partially opened, aren't accepting any food so they may be too far gone to save. Going to try giving them some Zooplex with an eyedropper before staggering off to bed. Kymme, after watching this unfold with total disbelief and wondering how she ended up married to an idiot that would sit up all night trying to feed shrimp to a rock, went to bed about 2 hrs ago...guess me and the tubastrea are in the doghouse for sure Did get some satisfaction when I managed to chase an unsuspecting amphipod into a poylp with the tweezers though.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:47 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

One other question...I wonder if I'd be better off to move this coral into one of the coral prop tanks? They have huge populations of amphipods. They are also heavily stocked with soft corals of different types...wonder if the tubastrea would be adversly affected by any of their excretions?
Old 06-02-2003, 02:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think the risk of possible negative effects from the soft coral's alleopathic agents, probably outweighs the positive effects of a stray amphipod meal I would just keep it where it is and continue the feeding every night. Good luck with the recovery
Old 06-02-2003, 04:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
sounds to me like you have it all under control Logan..good job. I have tube fed puppies, kittens and baby birds, but never a coral
Old 06-06-2003, 11:18 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Just an update on the tubastrea...it's recovering nicely. The poylps are probably extending 60% now. They pop out as soon as I put it in the bowl and add a little ZooPlex. Some of the ones I thought were too far gone to save apparently benefited from the ZooPlex from an eyedropper. Several of them were able to take small pieces of krill tonight for the first time. This thing is eating 5-6 decent sized krill every night now. Most poylps are coming back out for seconds and some for thirds. I think it's going to be OK.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man, I want one of these corals, they are just so gorgeous. I just am turned away by the non-photosynthetic bit.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:45 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Quote:
Kymme, after watching this unfold with total disbelief and wondering how she ended up married to an idiot that would sit up all night trying to feed shrimp to a rock, went to bed about 2 hrs ago...guess me and the tubastrea are in the doghouse for sure Did get some satisfaction when I managed to chase an unsuspecting amphipod into a poylp with the tweezers though.
Logan, this is some funny, funny stuff. I laughed my butt off!!!
Old 06-07-2003, 01:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Glad to hear that it is recovering 8)

Tags
coral, starve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com