Starved tubastrea.spp (Sun coral)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a sun coral from a friend at work. He'd had it for a couple of months and didn't know it had to be fed. It looks pretty bad with lots of polyps pretty well wasted away. There are a few that still extend though. I put it in my 20 and waited a couple of days to see if any poylps would extend to feed...nothing. I have it in a bowl now...finally got the poylps to begin opening with some clam juice and Kent Zooplex. I've been sitting here chopping up krill with a razor blade and feeding each polyp tiny bits with tweezers. Any ideas on how to save it? I guess I'll try feeding it every night like this unless someone has another solution. The poylps that are opening are gorging on the krill and opening back up for more in about 4-5 minutes. Can it be overfed or will it stop opening completely when it's had enough? My other (healthy, I think) one gets dumped in a bowl about three times a week to fend for itself with some home made frozen food...seems to be doing well so far.

I've also found the bowl method to be a very effective way of feeding these corals. I would agree that the best way to save the starved coral is to continue to feed it as often as possible, with a variety of meaty foods.

Well...it's now 1:15 am and this thing is still eating. This is worse than feeding a litter of piglets! Some polyps, although they seem to be partially opened, aren't accepting any food so they may be too far gone to save. Going to try giving them some Zooplex with an eyedropper before staggering off to bed. Kymme, after watching this unfold with total disbelief and wondering how she ended up married to an idiot that would sit up all night trying to feed shrimp to a rock, went to bed about 2 hrs ago...guess me and the tubastrea are in the doghouse for sure :mrgreen: Did get some satisfaction when I managed to chase an unsuspecting amphipod into a poylp with the tweezers though. :twisted:

One other question...I wonder if I'd be better off to move this coral into one of the coral prop tanks? They have huge populations of amphipods. They are also heavily stocked with soft corals of different types...wonder if the tubastrea would be adversly affected by any of their excretions?

I think the risk of possible negative effects from the soft coral's alleopathic agents, probably outweighs the positive effects of a stray amphipod meal :D I would just keep it where it is and continue the feeding every night. Good luck with the recovery :)

sounds to me like you have it all under control Logan..good job. I have tube fed puppies, kittens and baby birds, but never a coral :)

Just an update on the tubastrea...it's recovering nicely. The poylps are probably extending 60% now. They pop out as soon as I put it in the bowl and add a little ZooPlex. Some of the ones I thought were too far gone to save apparently benefited from the ZooPlex from an eyedropper. Several of them were able to take small pieces of krill tonight for the first time. This thing is eating 5-6 decent sized krill every night now. Most poylps are coming back out for seconds and some for thirds. I think it's going to be OK. :mrgreen:

Man, I want one of these corals, they are just so gorgeous. I just am turned away by the non-photosynthetic bit.

Kymme, after watching this unfold with total disbelief and wondering how she ended up married to an idiot that would sit up all night trying to feed shrimp to a rock, went to bed about 2 hrs ago...guess me and the tubastrea are in the doghouse for sure Did get some satisfaction when I managed to chase an unsuspecting amphipod into a poylp with the tweezers though.
Logan, this is some funny, funny stuff. I laughed my butt off!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

I am gonna have to pick up some of the kent zooplex. Would they extend if I put some DT's phyto in the cup with them?

You can try it but I doubt the phyto will induce the poylps to open. They prefer meat. I'd try a little clam juice or a small piece of shrimp in the bowl with it at first.

If I may suggest changing your feeding to a blener mush it will greatly help all the kinds of microscopic feeders in your tank. The use of a blender mush will allow you to feed your whole tank (top to bottom)at one time, that and you can customize the mix to what animals you keep. I keep several difficult species (ie: feather star, sun polups, sea fans and so on) and have never target feed them, yet they strive. When feeding corals it mostly depends on the particle size and not so much on the type of food ( as long as it has the basic energy requirements they need) again with the mush you get particle sizes that range from fish size to criterr size to coral size.

Hope it helps

Mike

That's true. I use the blender mush recipe for my other tanks. This coral was nearly starved to death which is why I have been feeding it by itself. I hope, if the recovery continues, that it will be able to fend for itself in the future. I may have it spoiled though...I kinda enjoy feeding it.

non-photosynthetic

I just am turned away by the non-photosynthetic bit.[/quote]

What do you mean by non-photosynthetic?

Is he refering to a sunflower coral or aka flower pot?

Thanks,

The Sun coral (tubastrea) is an ahermatypic coral meaning it doesn't contain symbiotic algae and is unable to use light as a means to feed itself. It relies on plankton to be caught in it's tentacles for all it's energy. Hence the term non-photosynthetic. The tubastrea can be found as deep as 100' in some places. In the aquarium, they must be fed meaty foods to ensure long term survival.

Well, the two smallest polyps on the little rock came out last night, I am gonna try feeding them again tonight after I get that zooplex. I am gonna keep you guys posted. Thanks a ton logan.

Back
Top Bottom