Step-by-Step photo guide for treatment of Starfish Necrosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zrenegade

Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi,

This is my first post. 8)

I bought a couple of Red Starfishes from my LFS a few weeks ago. I noticed one starfish had an infection that was on the ends of some of it's arms. I came to know that this was necrosis. It was eating up the arm like gangrene. So I thought to best solution is to amputate 8O .

My Red Starfish

Necrosis of arm (Does not look pretty :? )

The infection was on 4 it's 6 arms so I cut off the infected parts and remarkably the arms started to grow back. I noticed a few days ago that necrosis was affecting one of arms again so performed the procedure again.

These are treatment steps I took:
Note: I'm not a vet nor an expert and don't claim that all or any of the following steps are the proper procedure for treatment of necrosis.

- Tools
a- Plastic plate.
b- Cutting tool: a sharp knife, blade ... etc (use an alcohol swap to disinfect the tool)
c- Malachite green or Iodine to disinfect the wound
d- cotton buds

Step one:

Fill the plastic plate with aquarium water enough to cover the starfish when you place it in for treatment. (Exposing a Red Starfish to air is detrimental to its health)

Step Two:

Disinfect the infected area with Malachite green or Iodine using the cotton buds. Make sure you don't allow the Malachite green or Iodine to spread to other part of the starfish.

Step Three:

Cut off the infected part. Make sure you have a clean cut a little bit behind the infection. You will need to apply force since the starfish has a calcium skeleton and is not easy to cut.

Step Four:

Disinfect the fresh wound as in above.

Step Five:

Rinse the starfish in new aquarium water and quickly place it back in a safe place in the tank.

That's all.

You should keep an eye on further necrosis of the starfish. Generally, with the majority of species of starfish, being exposed to air will kill them within a few days. It's not uncommon, unfortanetly.

Welcome to AA...

That is interesting, I'd like to see the end results. It is totally possible your LFS got a bag with air in it, so it might be a losing battle. What species it that?

Re: Step-by-Step photo guide for treatment of Starfish Necro

zrenegade said:
Step one:

Fill the plastic plate with aquarium water enough to cover the starfish when you place it in for treatment. (Exposing a Red Starfish to air is detrimental to its health)

I missed this part. Sorry. Let us know how it goes.

melosu58 said:
zrenegade said:
Step one:

Oops, as did I, sorry. :)

Devilishturtles said:
melosu58 said:
zrenegade said:
Step one:

Oops, as did I, sorry. :)

Apology accepted ;)

The Starfish was underwater all the time during the "Operation" (not very obvious from the pictures since the water is shallow <- small starfish).

The best way is to put the plate in the tank and let it fill with water, push the starfish in then take out the plate with the starfish.

I've done this procedure to this Starfish two weeks ago. You can see the arms growing back in the pictures above.

zrenegade said:
I've done this procedure to this Starfish two weeks ago. You can see the arms growing back in the pictures above.
Interesting, maybe we should try to determine the reason this keeps happening. What are your water parameters?
Has copper been used in the tank?
Welcome to AA, by the way!

roka64 said:
zrenegade said:
Interesting, maybe we should try to determine the reason this keeps happening. What are your water parameters?
Has copper been used in the tank?
Welcome to AA, by the way!

Thanx 4 the welcome. I've been following this board for sometime but never contributed until now.

I never used copper in this tank. Params are 0,0,15 (time to do a PWC).

Actually seeing the infection only returning in 1 out of 4 previously infected arms is a good success rate (I think).

Devilishturtles said:
Updated pics? :)

Its behind a rock right now, I'll get a pic when I have a clear shot.

Update pic. Healing nicely.

i730589_DSCN0535.JPG

Interesting info, but in general air exposure does not normally play a significant role in acclimation procedures compared to that of salinity.

Nice fromia. I have two, one in each tank. Also Don't touch them with your fingers/ dont handle them without gloves or something. The oils on your skin can also hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom