sting ray died 5 hrs after i bought it!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fakewake00

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok i need help becouse i just bought a pretty expensive costa rican spotted sting ray today, and it died a few hours after i bought it. :x i got home and it was dead, stuck between 2 rocks. when i bought it, it was one of the only ones with a pink nose (is a pink nose bad?). i want to buy another one tomorrow before they run out, cuz theyre pretty rare, but i dont want that one to die as well. is there something that i need to know??
:?:
-andrei

the tank is cycled and it has rocks and plants in it, but no other fish (they all died a while ago--i think it because of ick). could it have died if there is not enough space for it (too many rocks?).
andrei
ps--what are parameters? (im pretty new with aquariums)

the tank is cycled and it has rocks and plants in it, but no other fish (they all died a while ago--i think it because of ick). could it have died if there is not enough space for it (too many rocks?).
I would suggest figuring out what all the other fish died.. And going from there.. A Ray needs a well established very large tank with just a fine sand substrate.. They are only recommended for Experts.. What size tank do you have..

what are parameters? (im pretty new with aquariums)
Just with statement I would Urge you not to buy another one.. Parameters are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alk, Ca, ph, Salinity.. All these need to be in check way before you put any fish in the tank.. FWIW they say most Rays need a 300g + tank to survive in.. And I highly doubt you have a tank that big...

Please spare the Rays life and DONT buy another one.. They are not for beginners.. You will end up wasting your money and killing another fish..

HTH<
James

its a 55 gal tank. and the water is good. i have this thing to check it at home. the sting ray is about 6 inches including the tail. if i take some rocks out will it be safe?
andrei

its a 55 gal tank. and the water is good. i have this thing to check it at home
But that doesnt state what the levels are now.. That Thing hopefully is a master test kit of some sort.. Fish do not die for no reason.. there is always a reson to their deaths.. A 55g is no where near big enough for Any Ray out there..
if i take some rocks out will it be safe?
To be painfully honest no it wont.. I would say that It would probably die in about the same amount of time..

Here is an excert about the blue dot Ray
Minimum Tank Size: 150 gallons
Care Level: Expert Only
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Temperament: Aggressive
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 1'
Reef Compatible: No
Caution: Venomous
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Australia, Indo-Pacific
Family: Dasyatidae

here is Thronback Ray
Minimum Tank Size: 300 gallons
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 2'
Origin: Mexico, Eastern Pacific
Family: Rhinobatidae

And the spotted Ray
Quick Stats
Minimum Tank Size: 180 gallons
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 2'
Origin: Caribbean
Family: Rajidae

here is about a general statement that could be used for just about all Sting Rays

Due to its lack of hardiness, the Spotted Caribbean Stingray should only be kept by an experienced hobbyist. A 180 gallon aquarium with at least a two foot width from front to back is necessary for an adult. It likes to cover itself on the soft substrate as camouflage. A coarser substrate will scratch its abdomen and could cause an infection. It should never be exposed to copper-based medications. It will eat any crustacean or mollusk in the aquarium.

Again Please dont buy the Ray They really belong in the wild not in an Aquarium

James

If you have this thing to check the water, can you tell the board your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings? You should have a proper test kit. What is your specific gravity? Temperature?

I'll repeat what others have said- please do not keep anymore stingrays, for their sake.

Also, are the plants you have in the tank regular freshwater plants? Plastic plants? Macroalgae?

Ray

I have a thought, just a thought, but since the ray is a definite no, does anyone have any suggestions for andrei? Maybe something a little easier to care for and well suited for a 55... something that is comparibly interesting???

i cannot tell the board my ammonia nitrite and nitrate readings because i did not test the water now. it is 1:33 am where im at and the water was tested about 2 days ago. however, i can affirm that they were in range. the temp is 78 degrees F. and no, the plants are not freshwater, as this is a saltwater tank. they are not plastic either. they are real saltwater plants.
andrei
ps i did not post a question to be mocked.

BTW Welcome to AA fakewake00

A few good suggestions would be find out what your exact parameters are.. Also If you have ever used Copper in your tank that kinda limits you to what you can have.. All the other fish that you have had Had to die for some reason or another.. After posting you tank stats like how long its been up what equiptment your using and so on so forth a good suggestion for an awesome fish would be the Volitan Lionfish Very awesome and easy to care for as long as your tank has the equipment to support them.. Just about any of the lionfish.. Also an Assorted Angler would be another cool fish to look into.. Please research whatever fish you decide.. If you have ever used Copper in this tank then that really limits what you can have..

HTH<
James

Yes, Welcome Fakewake00...
I doubt anyone meant to mock you. There are a lot of people that come to this site that have been severely misinformed by their LFS so people just ask to make sure. There are A LOT of stores that don't care what they sell to who, so it is possible for someone out there to end up with the wrong plants in the wrong tank... I'm sure no one meant to insult you at all. The people here just like to know every little detail so they can give you the very best advice they can. Again, welcome and I hope you'll have better luck with whatever fish you chose next...

Welcome Fakewake00!!! I dont want to beat a dead horse here, but please list as much detail about your tank as you possibly can. This way, the people here (Fellow fish and reef keepers mind you, not fish stores!!!) can give you educated advice.

Anrei can go to any of the online vendors that sell fish and also have fish information with it...such as liveaquaria.com, marinedepotlive.com, etropicals.com
He needs to learn to do his own research instead of us telling him what he should buy. But first and foremost, he needs to learn how to care for his tank.

Sorry if you don't like the responses. These guys are hardcore. But really, as you read you'll find out lots of people get in your situation because fish stores often don't care what you have at home as long as they make a sale.
I've found if you give as much info about your set-up as you can, you'll get pretty good answers. But... they aren't always what you want to hear.
good luck,
-Mark :frog:

horseshoe crabs are inappropriate for home aquariums, they get too big, too fast.

Back
Top Bottom