Sting Ray Wont Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klubvibez

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just got a sting ray, but i haven't seen it eat. I put squid into the tank but he just ignores it. Does anyone know the eating habits of sting rays? Anyone know if they are nocturnal feeders? Thanx.

How long ago did you put the ray into the system? What kind of ray is it?Please do not take this the wrong way, but I really hop you did not put the ray in the 40gal. listed in your profile. Rays are difficult to keep and require very large systems.

ditto with what Lando said, I like your tank and rock formation, VERY cool. But you really can't keep a ray in an aquarium unless it's HUGE! JMO, but as lando said, they are hard to keep. Plus, you will want a lot of sand and swimming room for them.

Jim

The rock work in your tank is very cool. However, rays need large open area to swim with soft LS subsrate and very little LR. They have very soft undersides that can be damages by rough LR. Simply not a good choice for your tank.

we have yellow stingray's at the store, and as everyone said, bare tank, lots of sand. We feed during the day and switch between raw squid and raw prawns. We slice them into mouth size bites.

no i have upgraded to an 80 gallon tank. the live rock is up against the back but most of the area is just flat sand. its a baby sting ray about the size of an orange ( circumferance)

its a baby sting ray about the size of an orange ( circumferance)
The problem is, it won't stay that way for long. Please don't take offence from me either, but an 80 gallon just isn't going to cut it for a ray in the long run.

The only time I would even consider a stingray is if I had a 500G or better. They need a mature tank, and lots of care to survive. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

I agree with Salttanker. The only thing is most my fish wouldn't eat at first. I was worried but they always settle down?? and settle in. I would worry about a stingray in that 80 gallons wont cut it for that fish.

Good Luck.

then i will be returning this sting ray to the store. thank you all for your advice
Kudos for doing the right thing!!! (y)
What else are you interested in?

That's super that you are returning... hopefully the LFS will better inform a future buyer. Better to return it than have the guilt on your hands if and when it dies.

I hope you find something more suitable that you really enjoy to replace it :)

Let us know how it goes and what else you get.

Warmly,
Kimberly

im pretty upset i was really amazed by the sting ray. the way it glides through the water with its fluttering motion was just an amazing site. im going to miss him but maybe i'll see something better in the near future.

very well done, it's tough to give up a cool fish/coral, but it's the right thing. My hats off to you.

Jim

I can imagine how hard that would be to return him. They are beautiful specimens. I think you're doing the right thing though. :wink: However, I'm sure the lfs will only sell it back to someone that doesn't know about the care requirements. I hope not. What a shame.

Mike

great decision! You are doing what is best for the animal. They are truly amazing, it is hard to think of an under water creature more graceful then a ray. I do understand the attraction. Nice job (y)

just visited the same fish store again today, and the stingray is still there. marked down from 49.99 to 39.99 now. he looked pretty sad.
That is a perfect example of why these animals do not belong in any LFS or home aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom