Strange bruise on chromi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flynnternet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.

I recently got a few green chromis that are now in QT. One has a red strip funning vertically down his side about halfway down his body. It looks like almost bloody under the scales. The same fish is breathing harder and nipping at the other two chromis in the tank.

Is this a treatable disease, or is this some kind of injury? What can I do to save him and the other two fish?

Thanks.

What are the water parameters of the QT? NH3, NO2 and NO3 along with pH/Alk? How long have you had the Chromis and when did the red stripe appear?

Could be bacterial or pH related.

Cheers
Steve

NH3, NO2, NO3 all 0. pH is 8.1. Not sure on the Alk. I've had the Chromis about a week, and the stripe appeared last night, but only on one.

Might actually be bacterial then. What I would do first is a few good sized water changes over the next few days with well aged/aerated SW. This will often do the trick. It lowers available DOc feeding bacteria and simultantously aids the pH if there's any issue there. Be sure you are also feeding the Chromis a well fortified diet adding a mutlivitamin to the food preferabley high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]. This first step will often improve conditions allowing the fish to fight the malady on their own without the need for meds.

If after a few days you see no improvement, you may need to treat with an antibiotic. Either Maracyn II at double the dose daily each day for seven days total or nitrifurazone (Furacyn) at a one time dose of 30 mg/gal.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, I'm doing a 50% water change right now. I've been feeding them flake food, and I have Zoe vitamins and garlic which I will add. Will that be sufficient?

Be sure the new SW specs match your QT's as much as possible. The larger the water change the more important this becomes. Also be sure it mixes with a powerhead for a good 24 hrs before use.

Garlic won't help much in this regard but the Zoe is a plus although does not contain [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym]'s. If available, I would try finding Selcon or Zoecon.

Cheers
Steve

Well, this morning one of the chrmis was dead. Not the one with the bruise, either. Upoin post-morten exam, it looks like this chromi had just started the get the odd stripe, but he it wasn't there yesterday. The other two chromis are alive.

The specs of my change water were very close to the specs in the tank, and it had been mixing for a a day or two before I sued it. I keep water on hand in case of these emergencies.

Just to vent, I've been trying to add new fish to my tank for like 6 months, but they never make it out of QT. Each time they pass away, I take down the tank, clean with bleach and start again. I've had 3 royal grammas not make it (one had velvet, the other two I died without any noticeable symptoms), and now this chromi (let's face it, chromis). I'm at a loss. I didn't think getting new fish would be this frustrating.

Sorry for your loss :(

flynnternet said:
Well, this morning one of the chrmis was dead. Not the one with the bruise, either. Upoin post-morten exam, it looks like this chromi had just started the get the odd stripe, but he it wasn't there yesterday.
Was it a thin line or a red blotch like the bruise?

FWIW, I agree with Gerald. If you keep having dismal results using the same LFS, it would be a good idea to find an alternate source for fish.

Cheers
Steve

See how they respond to the water changes and be sure you have more mixing just in case. Please post back if there are any additional changes.

Do you have access to either Maracyn II or Furacyn?

Cheers
Steve

FYI, the majority of the livestock have been coming from LiveAquaria.

Are there any LFS's in you area? I know some folks have had good luck with online fish purchases. But I prefer to inspect me fish before I buy. FWIW

I have a few LFS that I am not overly crazy about. They never seem to have the fish I want, or their tanks look dirty. Simply because I can't keep spending $$$ on the shipping and minimum purchases, I'm going to have to make do with the LFS.

I'll give a status update later tonight. I really wanted 3 chromis. Hopefully I'll be able to replace my loss soon.

Oh, and about the meds, I have not seen them around. I can try the one really good LFS, but not until tomorrow.

Well, the bruise got much worse. Looked more like a gash. Needless to say he didn't make it. The remaining chromi looks to be doing pretty well. I'll give him a few days and re-evaluate.

Sorry for your loss... :(

With two deaths in the span of two days, I don't think much would have been possible on your part to save these guys anyway. How did the water change go, anything significant on the remaining Chromis?

The only thing I can think of here is possibley Uronema but it should not have developed so quickly nor caused the deaths in such a short time frame. I'm not sure if it's too late for the remaining fish but I would suggest treating with a series of formalin dips. It will cure the problem if Uronema marina but you must be sure the fish has no lesions present. If any redness is present, it will not tolerate the formalin with skin damage so you may have to opt for a FW dip and Methylene blue. Furacyn has also been noted in helping with Uronema if the fish is in the early stages of infestation. Use at a one time dose of 30 mg/gal for 5 days.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom