Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
What do you normally feed, how long have you had this batch of food and how is it stored?
What is the shelf life of frozen food and what is the best means for storage?

Old 11-12-2005, 11:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Whoohooo!!!! My little guy is eating and swimming around tonight

He no longer has a buldge by his bottom. All of his fins are fully extended, not clamped close to his body. That is a good sign isn't it?

Old 11-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by havefun
The formulas were frozen - I thawed all the cubes in sw, rinsed well, and refroze in a baggie.
The food was thawed and then refrozen? Thawed in the fridge or room temp? Curious why you do this?

Quote:
My mush is less than a month old - frozen.
Were the ingredients frozen or fresh, how was the mixture prepared?

I am fairly certain it's bacterial and probabley a result of the food thawing/refreezing process. I would toss any of the foods that you have done this with.

Quote:
He no longer has a buldge by his bottom. All of his fins are fully extended, not clamped close to his body. That is a good sign isn't it?
Most definately a good sign but be sure to watch for any physical sign of reccuring.

If the problem comes back, transfer the clown to the QT (use a plastic container, no net if possible) and treat with Maracyn II at 20 mg/10 gal added daily for 10 days. Make sure you do at least a 25% water change before each new dose to increase effectiveness. I would also lower the salinity to hypo conditions to improve the med effectiveness and help rekindle the feeding response. Lowered salinity will mean less energy expended on osmotic balance and more energy spent on healing.

Be sure to carefully monitor pH and alk throughout and don't hesitate to buffer as needed. Buffering the RO water used for the salinity drop will help minimize pH drops.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashearier
Quote:
What do you normally feed, how long have you had this batch of food and how is it stored?
What is the shelf life of frozen food and what is the best means for storage?
Shelf life will generally be a few months (3-4). Never buy foods that look freezer burned or dried out at all. Store foods in the back of the freezer so they are not affected by the opening and closing of the door. Non frozen foods such as flake/pellet/dried should be stored in the fridge.

Best rule of thumb is not t buy large quantities. Only what can be consumed in a 2-3 month time frame. Even though smaller amounts may be more exspensive, they run less risk of bacterial contamination due to faster use.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-13-2005, 06:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thawed in the fridge or room temp? Curious why you do this?
I filled a container with ro water and let the cubes melt in it. Then rinsed with ro and added sw and refroze. The whole process probably only took 10 minutes or so.
As for the reason why, I thought I remembered reading on here that frozen food is very high in phosphates (or maybe something else) and that it was a good idea to do the above. Maybe not?

Quote:
Were the ingredients frozen or fresh, how was the mixture prepared?
Fresh. I just put it all in a blender (straight from the fridge) and added sw. Then I put it in baggies and froze.
When I feed I thaw a small chunk in a cup of sw then pour into the tank small amounts of that water.

Sheesh, now I'm afraid to feed. I felt bad before but now kowing it was probably my fault I feel even worse
Old 11-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #16
steve-s

Hard to say on your thawed/refrozen foods whether or not it could be the cause. More often, clown intestinal problems are from the foods fed or types of food used. Personally I would toss the cubes you've done this with already unless they where thawed in the fridge (preferabley covered). Bacteria doesn't take much time at all to get a foothold depending on surrounding surfaces and food acids present. Placing back in the freezer does not kill the bacteria either, simpley retards their reproduction.

As for the mush, as long as you are sure none of the ingredients where off or had mal odors, it should be okay. Again though, be sure foods are thawed in the fridge as much as possible to reduce bacterial growth. Might seem like overkill but a simple and easy precaution on something you cannot control otherwise.

As far as what you've read on the removal of phosphorus, yes to a point in will definately help. I would suggest however you only thaw what can be fed at that particular feeding. Don't do the whole batch. If using RO water, be sure to add a liquid vitamin afterwards as the RO will strip valuable nutrient as well. Personally I use tank water since it will not strip nearly as much. If using tank water, it's equally important only to thaw as much as can be used that day.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
behaviour, clown, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com