Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Snoopybdb
Strange fish behavior

I have a yellow tang and a scopas tang. During the full daylight they don't bother each other, but at night when just the actinic lights are on the play chase. It's sooo funny. They chase each other so fast they stir up the sand. They never "spear" each other just chase really fast. Eventually they stop and their little gills and mouths are just going so fast, like they are out of breath. Anyone else ever see this?

Old 01-14-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe they're fighting? Usually you only want one tang per tank because they don't like their own kind. It could happen that one may harrass the other to death, I know that sounds bad. I had two talbots damsels and didn't know they are loners, one did this to the other a lot, but I could never catch them to remove them, so one ended up dying.

I just today had to remove a black damsel because the lfs told me they could be together, but upon reading about them and watching one harrass the other, I found that to be bad information.

Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I have a Yellow and a Blue tang and they always hang out together. They swim one right after another. Where ever one goes the other goes its pretty funny. But they shouldnt be chasing each other. As you said they "spear" with there fins, so watch that they're not cutting each other up. Good Luck
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Snoopybdb
They DON'T spear each other. They haven't done that since I put the scopas in with the yellow when I bought him. They don't hurt each other. Just chase, like a game. And only for like half an hour at night. It's quite entertaining.

Tags
behavior, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com