Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
a monti cap is real easy. you can break it with your hand, or use a dremel for precision cuts. i usually cut them with nail clippers (in this hobby, the same tool is called a "coral cutter"). like this-
If I break it with my hands do you break it in the water or can you take it out of the water to break it up? After breaking it up is there anything special that needs to be done afterwards or just lay the pieces on the LR?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
either one seems to work fine for me. you can take it out if you like. corals can live for long periods out of water.
just make sure when you cut a living piece away from the dead part, you leave some good flesh with the dead part. this may stop your recession. again, not knowing the cause, it's hard to say for sure.

as for the pieces, i would just glue them to rocks in various spots and see how they fare.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went to pick it up this morning and it started crumbling I got a few pieces but I did not keep the bad spot it had gotten bigger over night and when I turned it over I saw those pointy things attached to it just like the one that was on the skelton part of my Frogspawn. I also have noticed there are alot of them on my LR's. They almost remind me of the thorns on the side of the rose stems except for them much skinner then the thorns on the roses.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

spionid worms? no tube worm is causing the rtn (rapid tissue necrosis) of that montipora. it's something else. parameters, flow, or lighting.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure what those things are they are about the size of a needle very skinny and sharp to the point.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

vermitid snail?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Strange spot on the Coral

I believe that is what it is I finally found a picture of them that look like the ones in my tank.. along with a short quote/line from underneath the picture that I found.... "The upper edge of this tube may be razor sharp, and may inflict rather nasty cuts." website that I found it on .. www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php

It says the Cooperbanded and hermit crabs will eat them however my hermit crabs aren't eating them.... Then it goes on and talks about a a muriatic acid bath works well which I don't think I want to tackle that. What other way can I get rid of them and how do I keep their numbers down.????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vermetids.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	26765  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

they don't need their numbers kept down actually. they aren't hurting anything.
no matter how much i love reefkeeping magazine i must disagree with them on this subject and say that the vermitid's numbers will even out and never present a problem.
in my own experience, i can say that in 10+ different reef tanks, they never cause me any issue, nor populated to the point of trouble.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I get white spots on my monti caps, it is from sand landing and staying. I had to blow it off with the baster, then rearrange the power heads
Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezon View Post
When I get white spots on my monti caps, it is from sand landing and staying. I had to blow it off with the baster, then rearrange the power heads
take a look at page 1. she's got a pic of it.

Tags
coral, spot, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com