Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Strange spot on Coral

I need help in identifying this spot that has just recently showed up on my Coral and how can I save it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spot on coral.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	26730  

Old 01-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the white you mean? the center area is dead. the white is also tissue recession. you will need to check parameters- mainly alk and the 3's ...ammonia, ntrite, nitrate..
also temp fluctuation and lighting issues (not properly acclimating).

Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have had it in the tank for well over 3 months now. The PH was down and I have been doing the buffering for the 4 days that was recommended by my LFS where I go and get my water checked. The center part is what caught my eye this morning. I was not able to see anything yesterday because one of the Ballast had went out and I was out looking for one yesterday and finally found one and put it back on the light late yesterday evening. The white around the edge I thought was normall because I see that on a lot of those type of corals at the LF stores....
Can it be saved? Or is it a goner????
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would watch the center, and if the white continues to spread, i would frag it up. in other words, break off the good tissue to stop the recession. the white around the edge is not a big deal as long as it doesn't spread.
that should be a nice orange color. do you think you have enough light over it?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure about the light... I have it sitting on the top of the LR closest to the top of the tank. How do you frag it?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

a monti cap is real easy. you can break it with your hand, or use a dremel for precision cuts. i usually cut them with nail clippers (in this hobby, the same tool is called a "coral cutter"). like this-
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

btw, sorry to derail the thread for the moment, but in your "my tanks" tab it says you have a sailfin tang in a 44 hex. i was just wondering why. was it fighting with the yellow?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Strange spot on the Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
btw, sorry to derail the thread for the moment, but in your "my tanks" tab it says you have a sailfin tang in a 44 hex. i was just wondering why. was it fighting with the yellow?
Nope they did sometimes have their disagreements but it was not to bad. I put him in the 42Hex tank while treating him for Hole in the Head and I still can't really tell if the tissue is healing or not and I have switched all of his food to what you guys had recommended to me from my other post for "Hole In the Head". He is eating like a pig I probably could put him back in the 55g but at this time I prefer to keep him in the 42 hex.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have a desjardini with the same issue, and have been feeding him all sorts of things from day one. this fish is a fat one too. i am beginning to think there is validity in the theory of stray current or other stressors contributing to this disease.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know about the stray current because I have removed him from the main tank so in this tank there would be no stray current or other stressors to stress him out other then being alone. He loves for me to sit beside the tank. I always put my hand on the tank wall and he comes up to it and stays there then swims off and comes right back. He has started to let me touch him a little bit when I am putting the clip into the tank with the Nori in it...

Tags
coral, spot, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com