Strange wound on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had a longhorn cowfish for about 5 months in my tank, and he occassionally gets these really bright white spots on his fins. They're way too bright to be ich, and a guy at the LFS says they're abbrassions on his fins and the white spots are the fish equivalent of a scab. I was able to point this ailment out to him in person as he had a puffer fish with the same thing. He said that this is not something to worry about if the fish has survived it repeatedly (which mine has) and if the water quality is good (which mine is).

This time is a bit different, though. He has one spot on one fin, and it looks like it normally does. However, I looked just now and there's a small (about 1/2") strand hanging off the spot. The strand looks like exactly like coral excriment (like snot in the water). What is this? I've dosed the tank with Marine Max (probiotic), but that's about it. I have caught him in a bowl and used Kanacyn on him in the past. Of course, I threw the water out to keep from crushing my tank. Should I do this again? Anything else I should do?

Back
Top Bottom