Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Strange wound on fish

I have had a longhorn cowfish for about 5 months in my tank, and he occassionally gets these really bright white spots on his fins. They're way too bright to be ich, and a guy at the LFS says they're abbrassions on his fins and the white spots are the fish equivalent of a scab. I was able to point this ailment out to him in person as he had a puffer fish with the same thing. He said that this is not something to worry about if the fish has survived it repeatedly (which mine has) and if the water quality is good (which mine is).

This time is a bit different, though. He has one spot on one fin, and it looks like it normally does. However, I looked just now and there's a small (about 1/2") strand hanging off the spot. The strand looks like exactly like coral excriment (like snot in the water). What is this? I've dosed the tank with Marine Max (probiotic), but that's about it. I have caught him in a bowl and used Kanacyn on him in the past. Of course, I threw the water out to keep from crushing my tank. Should I do this again? Anything else I should do?
- Gauge

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

strange, wound

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com