Stressed fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story shirt, we got two powerheads for our tank yesterday because we are going to be doing corals. We turned them on right before bed after we installed them and let them run all night. They blew a little sand off the rocks at first but they aren't too strong. When we woke up this morning out tomini tang was dead. Now our clowns won't eat but they are breathing ok, but the scooter Blenny has been swimming around at the top which he never does and he's breathing really heavy. We added a stress coat and obviously turned off the powerheads. He's still stressed and its been a whole day. Any other suggestions on what we can do? I'm so upset about my tang and I absolutely love my Blenny. Any help would be appreciated.

AbsoluteFaye said:
Long story shirt, we got two powerheads for our tank yesterday because we are going to be doing corals. We turned them on right before bed after we installed them and let them run all night. They blew a little sand off the rocks at first but they aren't too strong. When we woke up this morning out tomini tang was dead. Now our clowns won't eat but they are breathing ok, but the scooter Blenny has been swimming around at the top which he never does and he's breathing really heavy. We added a stress coat and obviously turned off the powerheads. He's still stressed and its been a whole day. Any other suggestions on what we can do? I'm so upset about my tang and I absolutely love my Blenny. Any help would be appreciated.

What size tank and how powerful are the power heads? Where are they located?

Also have you done anything different to the tank OTHER then the power heads?

Have you tested parameters?

75 gal tank, 1000 gph each. One is placed at the top front right corner, the other lower back corner on the left. But we shut them off. Parameters are ok. Ph is slightly low at 8.0. We also added one new base rock but that's it.

So we just did a 10gal water change too. So I guess it's watch and wait. He's still breathing heavy but he's got some color back. Ugh. I'm dreading looking at the tank in the morning. :(

AbsoluteFaye said:
He's still alive! Still breathing heavy though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you have surface agitation? Something to aerate the water?

Now you all power heads off so what are you using for flow?

I can't imagine 2000gph effected them that much in a 75. There must be a problem we are missing. Is it possible when you added the powerheads you kicked up a lot of debris/waste? Perhaps you are getting some ammo/trite spikes.

Mrc8858 said:
I can't imagine 2000gph effected them that much in a 75. There must be a problem we are missing. Is it possible when you added the powerheads you kicked up a lot of debris/waste? Perhaps you are getting some ammo/trite spikes.

Was thinking that or... Maybe they were sick?

I mean I have the MP10 in a Bio Cube 29 at 70% and my clown fish sometimes swims right into the current lol it's the funniest thing to watch. The cardinals not so much lol. They have there own spot lol. The wrasse isn't bothered it either so...

I'd have to agree with Matt, there has to be something else.

The only water movement now is the return line. I guess the powerheads kicked up stuff but would it seriously cause these issues so quickly? I mean whatever it stirred up was already in the tank.... Either way the filter had it back to normal after a few minutes. I'm going to test the water again in a few. Does anyone know what I should do for him? IF my water tests ok?

Agree as well.... between the return pumps & powerheads, I've got around 1400gph in my 28. You need to test everything ASAP.

Just went back & re-read, and caught that you added a new piece of base rock.... was it dry? If not, and it wasn't cured, I'm guessing something may have come in on that.....

The base rock was a normal white rock like I always get. It was dry. I rinsed it off. But I just looked again and the water is cloudy now but the Blenny is doing great. He's eating! My scooter eats everything. I got lucky. Ammonia is 0. Testing nitrates/trites in a minute (we keep breaking test tubes so we only have two,lol) ph is low at 7.8. I guess we should add the buffer? By the way, thanks everyone for all the comments so far. This is still kinda new to us.

I wouldn't bother with the buffer. A naturally low PH can sometimes be better than adding powdered buffer.

IMO not having any powerheads in the tank allowed the waste and food to accumilate onto the rock. Turning a high powered pump on could have stirred this up for your fish to ingest and if its riddled with bacteria and 'gone off' it would have a nasty effect on your fish.

Do you have a sump? you can put a filter sock on the overflow pipe to catch the debris. If i were you i would be carful obviously be use 1 over the power heads to blow all the debris off the sand and rocks to be collect in the filter sock. you'll need to leave the powerhead on for a couple of hours for best results but i would also be inclined to do a 20% water change just after you mix it up!

Obviously if you dont have a filter sock this cant be done!

We don't have a filter sock. Lol. Oh and the trates/trites were both 0. So everything is good except ph. And the water being cloudy. I'm gonna test again tonight and see if parameters are still good or if ph increased. We turned on one of the powerheads and I'm going to keep an eye in the Blenny though.

Low ph and heavy breathing fish has to be low oxygen u don't have enough surface agitation ....when u.added the power heads it could have caused a swing in ph due to more water movement which is a good thing but the swing could have been enough to kill a tang

Yeah I figured it had something to do with the powerheads. Everyone else in my tank is fine now and ph is at 8.1. It's getting there. My Blenny pulled through and he looks better then ever. I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

Back
Top Bottom