Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stressed fish

Long story shirt, we got two powerheads for our tank yesterday because we are going to be doing corals. We turned them on right before bed after we installed them and let them run all night. They blew a little sand off the rocks at first but they aren't too strong. When we woke up this morning out tomini tang was dead. Now our clowns won't eat but they are breathing ok, but the scooter Blenny has been swimming around at the top which he never does and he's breathing really heavy. We added a stress coat and obviously turned off the powerheads. He's still stressed and its been a whole day. Any other suggestions on what we can do? I'm so upset about my tang and I absolutely love my Blenny. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye
Long story shirt, we got two powerheads for our tank yesterday because we are going to be doing corals. We turned them on right before bed after we installed them and let them run all night. They blew a little sand off the rocks at first but they aren't too strong. When we woke up this morning out tomini tang was dead. Now our clowns won't eat but they are breathing ok, but the scooter Blenny has been swimming around at the top which he never does and he's breathing really heavy. We added a stress coat and obviously turned off the powerheads. He's still stressed and its been a whole day. Any other suggestions on what we can do? I'm so upset about my tang and I absolutely love my Blenny. Any help would be appreciated.
What size tank and how powerful are the power heads? Where are they located?

Also have you done anything different to the tank OTHER then the power heads?

Have you tested parameters?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

75 gal tank, 1000 gph each. One is placed at the top front right corner, the other lower back corner on the left. But we shut them off. Parameters are ok. Ph is slightly low at 8.0. We also added one new base rock but that's it.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

So we just did a 10gal water change too. So I guess it's watch and wait. He's still breathing heavy but he's got some color back. Ugh. I'm dreading looking at the tank in the morning.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

He's still alive! Still breathing heavy though. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteFaye
He's still alive! Still breathing heavy though. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Do you have surface agitation? Something to aerate the water?

Now you all power heads off so what are you using for flow?

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't imagine 2000gph effected them that much in a 75. There must be a problem we are missing. Is it possible when you added the powerheads you kicked up a lot of debris/waste? Perhaps you are getting some ammo/trite spikes.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
I can't imagine 2000gph effected them that much in a 75. There must be a problem we are missing. Is it possible when you added the powerheads you kicked up a lot of debris/waste? Perhaps you are getting some ammo/trite spikes.
Was thinking that or... Maybe they were sick?

I mean I have the MP10 in a Bio Cube 29 at 70% and my clown fish sometimes swims right into the current lol it's the funniest thing to watch. The cardinals not so much lol. They have there own spot lol. The wrasse isn't bothered it either so...

I'd have to agree with Matt, there has to be something else.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only water movement now is the return line. I guess the powerheads kicked up stuff but would it seriously cause these issues so quickly? I mean whatever it stirred up was already in the tank.... Either way the filter had it back to normal after a few minutes. I'm going to test the water again in a few. Does anyone know what I should do for him? IF my water tests ok?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Agree as well.... between the return pumps & powerheads, I've got around 1400gph in my 28. You need to test everything ASAP.

Tags
stress, stressed fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com