Stringy Poop Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed today that my Auriga Butterfly (threadfin butterfly) had a stringy substance coming out of him. It was whiteish in color. Does anybody know what this is and how I can treat it if need be. I added 9 lbs of live rock 2-hours before I saw the fish taking a stringy poop. When I put the rock in he was picking at it and eating the worm tubes etc. I am wondering if maybe the stuff on the rock was bad/dead since it may not have been 100% cured, I don't know. Unfortuantely, a couple of my other fish took a couple bites of this stringy stuff. They probaby thought it was a worm. But when they bit into it, it would just kind of disperse into the water. Any insight would be appreciated.

That is usually a sign of an internal parasite. There is medicated food you can buy for internal parasites, but the trick is getting the fish to eat it. If your butterfly eats flake or pellets you should be OK.
When I got my 3 lyretail anthias one had that stringy poop, but it wouldn't and still won't eat any pellet food. After about 6 months or so it seemed to go away on it's own.

It can be a dietary deficiency, but many times is the result from nematodes or internal roundworms. Medications that include Praziquantel are available...

Is it ok to feed that medication food to my main tank, or do I have to put that Butterflyfish into a hospital tank just to feed it? By the way, it does eat pellets.

I agree with James I would let all the fish eat it to take care of others in case they have it.

Back
Top Bottom