Stupid Ich Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jumbaaa

Aquarium Advice Regular
So this might sound stupid to some people but I am going to ask anyway. So.... Last week I did a Salt water Fish rescue and besides the algae I am having no issues.
The same day i lost one of my barbs in my fresh water tank (55 gallons) thats 8 feet away. I didn't think anything of it. Well over the course of the week i lost almost every fresh water fish I had. My friend was helping me move the fresh water fish and I think cross used the nets. well long story short i had a horrific ich break out (first one that i had ever) in the fresh water tank and by the time i realized what it was most of my fresh water fish died... Like i said I have never had it before and it was miss diagnosed by help at the LFS

SO here is my questions
1) can I cross contaminate the tanks?
2) Is there something I can do that can prevent the ich in the salt water from taking hold?
I currently do not have any corals.

Correct, fresh and marine ich are totally different. You probably killed off your freshwater tank due to stressing the fish when moving the tank. That is most likely how they got ich.

To prevent ich, just make sure your fish are healthy and stress free. Make sure your water parameters are right, no fighting or nipping between fish, not overfeeding, so on.

Ok cool thanks
Right now everyone in the marine tank is looking happy and healthy so I will just keep an eye on it.

are there any vitiam suppliments or the like that I can put into the water to help the fish?

you can give them food soaked in garlic and vitamin c.get a qt tank for any new arrivals and you'll never have and ich problem again. Ich must be present in your tank for your fish to catch it, stress doesn't give fish ich it has to
be there.

they both come in a liquid form. just put the food in a cup add a few drops of garlic and a few of the vitamin c and wait about 15 min. to let it soak into the food then feed as usual

Back
Top Bottom