Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-13-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
such a noob its sick. Help

I am lost
PLease help a newbie...

Okay I need some help. I just picked up my 65gl bowfront acrylic with all of the filtration in the back wall of the tank...

Okay first???..There are two grates in my overflow box, should i be putting something in them?

Is there a such thing as too much circulation, my fish seem to be fighting against the current and my sand is shifting... What is the best direction to point it. Also I just ordered two more powerheads tonight.. is that gonna be dangerous.

Please explain or send in a direction where I can learn about this filtration system... I dont know how the Protien skimmer works or how often I should be dumping that cup out.

I am clueless with this filtration system shed some light ...

Thanks for taking a look... I appreciate it.

ppavlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't really help, but I do think that people are going to need some more information--what kind of filtration and skimmer? How long has the tank been up? What's in it? With more details, you can get better help from those who know . . .

75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 12:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The filtration system is built ino the back of the 65gl Acrylic bowfront tank. The water goes through the overflow holes and drops onto two grates about 4 inches apart.{should there be media on these grates}... Then the water goes to the protien skimmer and then onto a wet/dry filter and then into an area with just a pump that pumps it back ut into the tank via a nozzle....

I just bought the tank today and dont know the manufacturer, I think the filter components are ehiem. I switched my 55gl into this one my 55 was set up for about 6 months.

Hope this helps a little... pardon my lack of a clue
ppavlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

There may be a outlet hole leading from your skimmer collection cup. Might see if there is a way to connect a hose to it and drop it into a plastic container somehow. Got cured rock in your tank already? Not sure what to suggest on how often to empty the collection since we don't know what's in the tank. But @ start up, with rock or other decaying stuff, you should watch it everyday.

Is the overpowering water flow only from your filter return? Mine is pointed along the back, parrallel to the water. Maybe yours is pointing down and moving sand.

How big/small are the 2 additional PHs? Not necessarily trouble. I'm use my return, and 3 other PHs. One stronger on the opposite wall so that the flow meets the return flow on the front wall. Those 2 "crash" a bit and and send water back thru the middle. The other smaller two serve as boosters for the return, one pointed high and the other low.

Clear as mud now? Maybe some other more computer literate members can do a diagram.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
does it look like this?
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com