Sudden Die Off of Fish Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyH5512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello fellow aquarists. I am helping someone with a 30g cube tank. It had red slime, so Red Slime treatment was added on Friday afternoon. The skimmer was left off after the treatment. This morning, all the fish are dead. However, their 2 shrimp are alive as well as most of the corals. A giant leather coral is leaning on its side. An emergency 15g water change was done. The water parameters are as follows (from the water PRIOR to the emergency change).

pH: 7.8
NH3: .5 (which I attibute to the dead fish)
NO2: .1
NO3: 2.5

I believe the Red Slime removal affected the pH and oxygen levels. Has anyone ever experienced this?

WOW! Those numbers are bad. I would do a few more PWCs to get the numbers down, ASAP! It looks like there is a mini cycle going on that is all out of whack.
Do you know the brand and name of the product? Was it over dosed?

AndyH5512 said:
I believe the Red Slime removal affected the pH and oxygen levels. Has anyone ever experienced this?

If there were large amounts of cyano dying off from the chemicals, I would think that it would screw up the ph, oxygen as you suggested as levels and bio filter also. These chemicals are in essence just antibiotics the way I understand it (someone correct me if that's wrong), and really aren't good for the tank since dosing antibiotics has to have adverse effects on the biological (bacteria) filtration. The fact that they call them safe is just confusing to me. Maybe they are safe on treating small amounts? I don't know. What a shame. Cyano can be dealt with usually without the use of the quick fix chemicals. Sorry for their losses. :(

I think Fluff might be right about the product. That's why I was asking for a brand name, if it contains antibiotics, that could have possibly killed off all or a lot of the beneficial bacteria.
I also agree, go the most natural route, IME, it pays off better in the long run, and generally will take the long run! LOL! I cleared mine in about 2-3 weeks and it was EVERYwhere.

Fluff said:
[Cyano can be dealt with usually without the use of the quick fix chemicals. (
I agree with this. I dont use any chems in my tank. Sorry about your Loss

Back
Top Bottom