Suggestion - Dealing with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hyposalinity - Can I get some help

Hi everybody, so I got my first sebae clownfish the day before yesterday and I am noticing 2 small salt size white specks on the side of his body. At first I thought they were sand that just stuck to him but after they refuse to fall off I have decided they are ich and would like to treat it immediately..

I have read the article regarding ich and have decided to use the method of hyposalinity. But as I have had no experience with this method I was wondering if I could get some clarification on the specifics.

1. Also, I think it is important to note that I did not quarantine this fish, I placed him into the main tank. I wanted to ask though if I remove the fish to a hospital tank and leave my main tank running (with no other fish/life except 2 hermit crabs and a emerald crab) would the infection in the main tank die off? (Would I need to begin dosing ammonia again in order to keep the beneficial bacteria alive?)

2. When I do hyposalinity, I understand placing him in a separate tank, and doing a water change every day/half day until the salinity drops to 1.009-1.010.

So my questions were,

Do I keep dosing my fishless main tank with ammonia such as when I was doing the fishless cycle?

For my quarantine tank, is an internal filter/heater all the equipment I need?

What should my temperature be? And how often if ever do I do water changes for my quarantine tank?

And last, how long will I have to continue this for? Thank you please help! I want to kill this ASAP! I only saw 2 specks this morning but I am at work, I will take my clown out immediately when I get home.

help me help mee :banghead: :thanks:

i would keep the tank temp at 81 degrees for a while and if more spots apear i would recomend doing pwc prob every 2 days or so with ro/di and see what happens i hope hiring the temp would be good enough

I am just starting a QT with hypo, I lost my goby that I have had for months, and the tang that I did not quarantine. Don't do the do nothing approach, as every fish you get will get ich and possibly die. If there are spots and they fall off over night and re- appear, it is ich.

Hi everybody, so I got my first sebae clownfish the day before yesterday and I am noticing 2 small salt size white specks on the side of his body. At first I thought they were sand that just stuck to him but after they refuse to fall off I have decided they are ich and would like to treat it immediately..

I have read the article regarding ich and have decided to use the method of hyposalinity. But as I have had no experience with this method I was wondering if I could get some clarification on the specifics.

1. Also, I think it is important to note that I did not quarantine this fish, I placed him into the main tank. I wanted to ask though if I remove the fish to a hospital tank and leave my main tank running (with no other fish/life except 2 hermit crabs and a emerald crab) would the infection in the main tank die off? Yes, no fish for at least 8-9weeks. (Would I need to begin dosing ammonia again in order to keep the beneficial bacteria alive?) Just feed your inverts a little bit of food, that will be enough to keep the cycle going.

2. When I do hyposalinity, I understand placing him in a separate tank, and doing a water change every day/half day until the salinity drops to 1.009-1.010. yes, drop it slowly over the course of many days to 1.009 with a properly calibrated refractometer.

So my questions were,

Do I keep dosing my fishless main tank with ammonia such as when I was doing the fishless cycle? Feed the inverts a little bit of food, that is good enough.

For my quarantine tank, is an internal filter/heater all the equipment I need? Maybe some PVC pipes or something for the fish to hide in. Also keep some ammonia neutralizer on hand. Remember the tank should be cycled first or have a fully cycled/colonized filter.

What should my temperature be? And how often if ever do I do water changes for my quarantine tank? Keep the temp as stable as possible and at normal temperatures 78-81, pick a temp in that range and keep it there. Do water changes as needed to keep all you water chemisty where it needs to be.

And last, how long will I have to continue this for? Thank you please help! I want to kill this ASAP! I only saw 2 specks this morning but I am at work, I will take my clown out immediately when I get home. Do it for 8-9 weeks and then you have to bring the salinity back up even slower than you dropped it. It can take 4-weeks to bring it back up to 1.025.
In my opinion you are totally jumping the gun. Only two spots does not guarantee it has ich. I think you should wait a few weeks. Keep the tank stable, feed well and see what happens.

help me help mee :banghead: :thanks:
Hopefully the info I typed above in your quote helps, but again. I think you are reacting too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom